We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage at Penn Station?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage storage at Penn Station?

I am travelling from Philly to Long Island and would like to stop in NYC for the day on my way. I am taking regional rail, not Amtrak. Is there a luggage storage facility at Penn Station where I can drop off some carry-on luggage and pick it up later in the day? Or is this sort of thing limited to Amtrak passengers?

Thanks in advance for the help!

England
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage storage at Penn Station?

I don't think there is any luggage storage at all at Penn station.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage storage at Penn Station?

There is luggage storage in Penn Station. I use it all the time, but I always have an Amtrak ticket. It costs about $4.00 a package.

And from a previous post:

From NYWhiz a while ago:

There was a post here about a service near Penn Station

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k926539-…

Here's their website

http://www.jsrentalocker.com/

I have no personal experience with this co. Just passing along the info.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage storage at Penn Station?

As long as you're riding an Amtrak train from Phil.(it can be a regional train) I think you may be able to use their luggage storage. If it's not an Amtrak train, I'm not sure what your options are. I thought I read that that storage facility posted on the other thread was closed, but you can double check. If it's not a lot of luggage, you could try the package check at Macy's which is right near Penn station. If you're dressed nicely, you might be able to convince the bell captain at the Affinia Manhattan (across from Penn station on the 7th ave. side where you'd go in for the LIRR) to take your bag for the price of a tip. Make sure to get a receipt!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage storage at Penn Station?

wunder, since you are coming from Philadelphia, I'm assuming you will be taking SEPTA from Philly to Trenton, then New Jersey Transit from Trenton to Penn Station New York. Is that correct? If so, as I understand it, with your NJ Transit ticket you should be allowed to check baggage in Penn Station. Be sure to keep your receipt to show the attendant at the baggage check. I don't know if the receipt will be enough (you may need to show them an actual ticket), but it should work. I can't find any information about showing them a LIRR ticket (I'm guessing that is what you will be taking to get to Long Island), but I don't see why that wouldn't work, either.

To try and get the definitive answer, I would contact either NJ Transit or LIRR directly. NJ Transit has a toll free number, with an operator on duty 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. I would advise to call during normal business hours, however.

1-800-772-2222

Use this link to send an email to LIRR with your question:

http://www.mta.info/faqs.htm

Hope this helps.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage storage at Penn Station?

There is luggage storage for Amtrak riders only;the make you show a ticket so there really is no way around it

6. Re: Luggage storage at Penn Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 20, 2009