We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Hi In June we are intending to take the AMTRAK from NYC to Washington. In NY we are staying at the Salisbury (123 W 57th St # 1). Would someone mind telling me what is the closest train station to the Salisbury to go to Washington so I can buy our tickets on line.

Many thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Trains to Washington leave from Penn Street station in NYC. I'm doing this trip in March but in reverse and stopping in Baltimore for a couple of nights.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Oops, the station is just called Penn Station (there's no street in the title). I think i got confused with another station somewhere.

Anyway, in the list of stations on the Amtrak website, it is listed as New York - Penn Station, NY and it's 3 digit code is NYP.

manchester
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

yes you want penn station on 7th av think its the acle service

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Penn Station is where Amtrak is. You can either take a cab to Penn Station or the subway depending on if you want to deal with luggage on the subway. As someone mentioned - you can also go on Acela which is the faster train but it is a lot more expensive and not really worth the time savings IMO.

If you buy your tickets in advance (which I recommend that you do), when you get to Penn Station go to the little kiosks to print out your ticket (just like at the airport). Make sure you bring your reservation number too - that's how the reservation is looked up on the computer. It's a nice trip too - I just got back from Baltimore on Amtrak last night.

Wendi

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Pennsylvania Station on 7th Avenue and 31st Street is adjacent to Madison Square Garden and directly across from notorious Hotel Pennsylvania.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

To try to avoid confusion, in NYC we call subway trains "the subway" (take the subway not take the train) while Amtrak trains are trains. Is that clear as mud? :)

All amtrak.com trains come and go from Penn station which is at 34 st. & 7th ave. If you're asking how to get from your hotel to Penn station by subway you can use hopstop.com and get info for the exact day/time you need to go and decide whether you want more walking and fewer transfers or the reverse. It's not that far from the hotel to the train station and I think it depends on how much luggage you'll have with you and the time of day you're going as to what's the best option. Hopstop will even estimate the cost of a taxi. I would not attempt taking lots of luggage in the subway during rush hour.

Before buying amtrak tickets, you should make sure there aren't discounts you could use. I wouldn't be in rush to buy tix now for June. Do a search online for discount codes on amtrak about 3 months before your trip.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

A little clarification about some seemingly contradictory, but not really contradictory, information you have gotten here.

The railroad station that is used by Amtrak for all long distance trains is the station that was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad. Since it was the station of the Pennsylvania Railroad (which, by the way, no longer exists -- it and all of its competitors for long-distance train travel have been incorporated into Amtrak), it was called "Pennsylvania Station", or "Penn Station" for short. The station occupies the two blocks bounded by 31st Street, Seventh Avenue, 33rd Street, and Eighth Avenue, with the main entrance at 32nd and Seventh, but there are entrances at Eighth Avenue as well. There is also an entrance directly to the Long Island Rail Road level of the station (for the LIRR also stops there) on 34th Street near Seventh Avenue.

The beautiful grand old station building was, in an act that is very nearly criminal, torn down 40 years ago, and replaced by Madison Square Garden and the office tower next to it. While it does not look like it, there really is a railroad station underneath Madison Square Garden.

Because this was not the only station ever built by the Pennsylvania Railroad, there are stations in other cities (Newark, New Jersey being the main example) that also have "Pennsylvania Stations". Several people who have posted here have mentioned their confusion when they were taking the train from Newark Airport to NYC and heard "Penn Station Newark" announced, and not knowing whether they should get off the train or not. All you need to be aware of is that the important thing is the name of the CITY, and not just the name of the station.

DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

To continue the Penn Station tips theme, you won't get much time between when they announce the platform for your train and its departure (20 minutes or so). Since you don't know the station, get there with some time to spare and print out your ticket. Then stand near all those folks staring at the deapartures board. When your train and its platform number appear on the board, get moving.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Also, the Amtrak trains use the 8th avenue concourse, not the 7th avenue concourse, so entering at 8th and 31st actually is the closest to the Amtrak ticket counters and gates.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak - NYC to Washington DC

Amtrak strongly suggests that you buy your tickets in advance for two reasons: 1) you are guaranteed a spot on the train you want and, 2) it costs less to buy in advance. As others said, check for discounts (mostly the discounts are for the regional trains, not the Acela or Metroliner) and you can pick up your tickets at Penn Station.