We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark to Brooklyn

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Newark to Brooklyn

I am looking at flying into Newark. I understand there is a train that can connect me to Manhattan. I am staying in Brooklyn and wonder if anyone has an opinion about what would be the better way: a taxi from Newark to Brooklyn or the train to Manhattan where I would then have to take a subway.

Thanks.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

I would opt for the taxi - direct, door to door, no hassles.

Poppa

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

Price and time are both considerations. I will have three people in my party. So would it be cheaper to get a taxi versus each of us paying $15 for the train? Also, what kind of time am I looking at to get to the Carroll Gardens area of Brooklyn? My flight arrives at noon so it would be during lunchtime if that would affect traffic at all.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

Take the taxi. The train, while great, only gets you to Penn Station in Manhattan, and you will still need to get to Brooklyn, which will require either a taxi or a subway ride. Since there are three of you, the taxi is the best bang for your buck, as it were. If you were to take the subway from Penn Station in Manhattan to Brooklyn, you may save a very few dollars over the cost of a taxi from Newark, but the savings are not worth the hassle of getting from the train to the subway, then getting to your accommodation in Brooklyn. Take a taxi from Newark straight to your door.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

I don't know the exact cost of a taxi to Carroll Gardens, but from Newark to Brooklyn Heights (which is a shorter distance), the total cost is $70 + toll/tip. It might be a little more to Carroll Gardens. Also, taxi's from Newark are flat rated - so heavy traffic won't affect your rate. The taxi is definitely less hassle IMO since you would have to switch trains multiple times to get to Carroll Gardens.

Wendi

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

one more thing - if you do take the taxi option - chances are that a NJ taxi driver may only know the basics about Brooklyn streets - so having a map from mapquest or somewhere handy and/or directions printed out may help you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

might be economical to take the Newark Airport Bus to the Port Authority in NYC (pretty cheap) and then take a taxi from the Port Authority to Brooklyn.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

The problem for you is that there is no reasonable way to go from EWR to Brooklyn without going through Manhattan. If there is no big difference in airline ticket price, consider flying into LaGuardia (LGA) instead of Newark (EWR). Our daughter lives in Brooklyn. LaGuardia is always her preferred airport.

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

Good points and thanks for responses. I can fly into Newark for $40 less than LGA, not a great deal of money but it's enough to have me second guessing. If the travel time is about 10 minutes difference then I have to vote for saving money. but if we're talking a major amount of time then I have to reconsider LGA.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

I think the money difference would be very little. You may be saving $120 (there are three of you, correct?) by flying into Newark, but when you add up the cost of flying into Newark and transportation to Brooklyn (and back), I'm guessing it will be very similar to the cost of flying into LGA and getting a taxi to take you to Brooklyn. And the time savings will be considerable. Unless you are an extremely tight budget, I think the time you will save by flying into LGA is worth the few dollars you may save by flying into Newark.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newark to Brooklyn

The time difference between LGA and EWR to Carroll Gardens is anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour, with LGA being, by far, the shorter time. In addition, since both Brooklyn and Queens are on the same island, there are no tolls in going from LGA to Carroll Gardens. You will also save quite a bit on the cab fare -- the fare from LGA to Carroll Gardens is about half that (or $35 less) than the fare from EWR. It is an easy trip: the driver would probably take the Grand Central Parkway to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, and get off at Atlantic Avenue. You will have a number of spectacular views of the Manahttan skyline on the way.

It seems to me that you in fact save time and lose no money by going to LGA.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York