We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Home! Trip report June 1-7.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
196 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
I'm Home! Trip report June 1-7.

All I can say is WOW! I loved New York City! I will return someday.

Day 1

*Was awoken by my daughter because the electricity had gone off at our house for some reason. She was so worried that she wouldn't be able to get ready in time to catch the plane! The electricity came back on and we made it to the airport in time

*Arrived in NYC on time and saw Donald Trumps jet at the airport. We thought that was pretty cool! As you will find out it really doesn't take much to amuse us!

*Checked into our hotel. The Radio City Apartments. This was a great place. Our 1 bedroom apartment looked like it had just been redecorated. New everything. Great location. On 49th, between Times Square and 5th Avenue!

*Ate a quick lunch at Pax Wholesome Foods on the corner of 7th St. Pretty good for something quick. Walked up 5th Avenue and went inside St Patrick's Catherdral. Awesome place. Very beautiful and huge! Continued on 5th until we got to Trump Tower. Right when we walked in, Donald Trump and others were walking out of the elevator! They headed right to the bar across the lobby. Wasn't expecting to see him so I didn't have my camera ready. Our first celebrity sighting! We then headed back and walked through Rockafeller Plaza. Lots of people. Went back to the room for a rest before dinner.

*Had dinner reservations at Carmines. Got seated right away. We were blown away by the amount of food you get! We ordered the salad special for the day and it was great. We also ordered the main dish special. It had penne pasta with Italian tomotoes, eggplant, olives, garlic and mozzarella cheese! YUM! This was great too. Stopped off by Pax again to get some Cannoli, macaroons, fruit tart, (Aunt has to have her fruit for the day) and Napolean. These were Ok. Nothing special.

Day 2

*Went on the Grayline hop on hop off bus tour this morning. We took the downtown loop tour first. Great tour and we learned a lot about the city on this tour. We were on the top so we could see and we about froze to death! We braved the cold and stayed on top because we wanted to see everything!

*After the tour we walked up Broadway trying to find something to eat. Stopped by the Hello Deli and got our pictures taken with Rupert Gee. This place is really small. Saw the Letterman Show but they weren't taping then. We ended up eating at a place called 54 Broadway Cafe. Huge salad bar and buffet for $5.99. We thought that was pretty good so we filled our take out trays full. Little did we know it was $5.99 per pound! We learned our lesson fast and not to be pigs! We laughed about this the rest of the trip!

*Walked around Times Square area. It was still rather cool. We had to wear jackets. While walking to dinner at Via Brasil a woman on the sidewalk told us the man down the way had a knife behind his back. Scared my daughter to death! We just kept walking and nothing ever came of it. Via Brasil was good. I had the shell steak with fried onions, cilantro and fries. Very good.

*Went to see Hairspary tonight. Wonderful show. Great for teens. My daughter loved it! Stopped off at Tasti-D-Lite for a snack. As you will see, we love to eat!

Continue with day 3 later!

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Home! Trip report June 1-7.

>> We ended up eating at a place called 54 Broadway Cafe. Huge salad bar and buffet for $5.99. We thought that was pretty good so we filled our take out trays full. Little did we know it was $5.99 per pound! We learned our lesson fast and not to be pigs! We laughed about this the rest of the trip! <<

I made exactly the same mistake in Washington DC one time!

You live and learn.