We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for New York City visit

Fowlerville...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice for New York City visit

My daughter & I will be traveling to NYC in late July (first time flying & to New York for both of us) to celebrate her graduation. She has studied ballet for 14 yrs. & choreographed her school play for the past 2 yrs., so the NYC ballet co. and a broadway show are a must. We would also like to see the taping of a t.v. show (Regis & Kelly, etc.). What is the best way to get tickets to all of the above? Best places to eat, famous people sightings? Places to shop? Safest way to travel once we are there? Price of taxi's? Other must see, must do items? We will be in New York for 3 days and we are staying at a hotel on 40th st./Times Square area. We are on a budget but would like to fit in as much as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. While we are very excited about our trip, we are also very overwhelmed (we come from a very small town). Thanks for your help!!!

Fowlerville...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Need advice for New York City visit

This sight is just AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for all of your advice. I forgot about The View so we are going to try that as well. Now that we have some websites and some sound advice (thanks to all of you) we will start planning our days. Do you need reservations at most of these restaurants? Also, one last question - who and how much do you tip??? We've never even seen a taxi, so I have no idea how much you would tip the driver, or bellhops, etc. Along with having fun, we want to make sure we are good tourist also :0) Thanks again for everything!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need advice for New York City visit

Tipping has been discussed quite extensively here ;) If you put tipping in the search box above you should find lots of previous posts. 15-20% tips on taxis and restaurant bills (before tax) are usual. So on a $6 cab ride, I'd tip $1-$1.50. (If you only have a $10 bill you can say to the driver please take $7.50 and he'll give you change)

Tax in NYC is 8+% so if you double the tax on a rest. bill you're leaving about 17% tip for the waiter.

I always say for those intimidated by tipping, just worry the most about the people you're likely to see again ;) If you go to a rest. and you love it and want to go back, leave a nice tip. You can tip the maid in the hotel at the beginning, daily or at the end (or not at all if you don't think she's doing a good job). Bell hops who carry your luggage, $1-5 depending on how much luggage.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need advice for New York City visit

You should have reservations at the most popular restaurants especially if you plan to go at popular times. Most NYers eat late (8pm) except in the theater district where it's busy pre (5-7:30) and post (10pm) shows. So out of the theater district, if you want to eat earlier, say at 7, you may have an easier time w/o a res. In the theater dist., eating 8-10pm is good.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need advice for New York City visit

Some tipping points:

Taxi - 15% of fare or round up...for instance if fare is $8.10, I give $10.00, it's a bit more, but what the hey. IF fare if $7.00, give $8 - 8.50, $10.00 fare - 11.50 - 12.00.

Bellhops - $1 or $2 per bag.

Concierge - nothing unless he/she performs some special service for you.

Front desk - nothing

Maids - $1 - 2 per day per person, but I usually try to see who that person is and hand it to them, you get better service, or give what you want, some give nothing.

Restaurants - 15-20%, I tends towards 20%, but if you just double the tax, it comes to about 17%, so that is a good way to figure it (unless service is great I do the 20%, sometimes even a bit more).

Street vendors, servers in fast food places,etc, even if a jar is there (what is that about-tipping for giving you an ice cream?), nothing.

Also, always check your bill for errors, it is very common.

Hope this helps.