We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for hotel outside of the city

Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
looking for hotel outside of the city

that can accessed by the subway. I'm thinking the further out I go theless expensive it maybe and still be able to come intot he city and do all of the tourist things. Any suggestions?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

To really get an in depth analysis of the pros and cons of staying outside of NYC and commuting in, I highly recommend you read the postings on the New York and New Jersey boards of betterbidding.com. This is an issue they help people with a lot.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

My suggestion would be to stay in Manhattan if Manhattan is what you want to see. Commuting time is vacation time and it comes at a cost, beyond the fare. Plus there is the thing of being part of the city if you stay in the city.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

We found a hotel in Seacaucus and it looked to be great. Prime Suites. People say on the review that it's only about 15 minutes into the city. I think it's a train, might be a bus. I haven't looked into it that much.

It was under $100 a night.

However, we did end up deciding to stay in the city. Mostly because we are planning on late nights and we don't want to spend money on taxis and don't want to ride the bus/train late at night.

I've read the discussion to stay in the city - but I think staying out of the city is fine too. I totally understand budget. It is costing us $200 - $300 more to stay in the city. We've decided to do it because it's just my husband and I for a once in a lifetime trip. If we were staying longer or had kids, I'd chose the New Jersey hotel.

Prime Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Red Roof were all reasonably priced in New Jersey.

Expedia had the best rates for Jersey hotels for me.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

For subway / train access, you want to stay in Flushing. The express 7 train and the LIRR train only takes about 20 minutes. The LIRR is especially useful if you want to go out late at night since there is a train leaving Penn Station at 1.19am and 3.19am. At this time, the 7 train will be running local only and will take about an hour. Flushing is very safe with lots of Asian restaurants and shops. That said, I think you should just pay a little bit more to stay in Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

There is a nice Ramada Hotel in New Rochelle (Westchester County) which is right near the Metro North. They have a restaurant and club. The Merto North takes you straight into Grand Central Station. Probably a 30 minute ride and has late trains. The Ramada and Westchester are good alternatives to staying in the city.

Below is the link to Metro North's fare and schedule website.

as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

Get a hotel through Priceline.com The Grand Hyatt is one of the hotels that is affilated with priceline. Pick 3 or 4 stars in midtown & less then $100 & see if your offer is accepted. Priceline only deals with major hotels, so they won't stick you in a roach-motel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

If you're with kids, driving and coming over the summer, many of the hotels in New Jersey (Weehawken, Jersey City, Secaucus) are all suite hotels with outdoor pools. It makes sense. If you're coming as a couple and plan to go out in the evening and only need a room for 2, IMO it makes no sense to stay outside the city. You will likely need to do 2 roundtrips a day to change clothes and you may be restricted to how late you can stay out. Also remember the areas around hotels outside Manhattan may not be so nice.

The Travel Inn is a popular budget option in Manhattan (happens to have free parking and an outdoor pool too). I agree Priceline is a good option for 2 who can share a bed.

Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
77 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

Isn't The Travel Inn in kind of a dicey neighborhood? I don't think that would be such a great choice for someone travelling with kids. I would probably stay out in the suburbs if I had young children though we stayed at the Comfort Inn near JFK & it was fine not too long ago. In any case, have a great time!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

I wouldn't even consider staying outside the city...

Appley Bridge...
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for hotel outside of the city

I wouldn't consider it either. If you are thinking about it you should really talk to some people who make those commutes every day. Those trains are crowded (try to find a seat in the morning), expensive and if you miss one you could be waiting around Grand Central or Penn Station for an hour for the next one. Way too big a hassle for a vacation - especially with kids. I have a slight headache thinking about it.