We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning

california
4 posts
Save Topic
Help with planning

I am planning to take my wife to NYC for thanks giving. We have been married 3 years with no vacations since both of us grad students. I have a limited budget so I really need some info on good but cheap hotels and also some Ideas about broadway plays etc. I know most of the sightseeing stuff (museums/boat cruise etc) anyother ideas. Yes as most of you must have realised I am in the doghouse so I also need some info about "romantic" things to do.

Cheers

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning

Thanksgiving in NYC is probably the most crowded and expensive time to stay/visit. Hundreds of thousands of people come to the Big Apple to perform/watch the parade, Christmas shop and attend the Radio City Music Hall Spectacular. Many hotels are already booked for that weekend and they get top dollar for their rooms.

I stayed in NYC once over Thanksgiving and purchased a package deal from the Novotel. It was very expensive and the Novotel is only a 2.5-3* hotel.

If you want to stay on the cheap, the best advice I can give is to plug your dates into Priceline.com and see what you can get. Betterbidding.com is one of several user- friendly websites that assists people with their Priceline/Hotwire bidding.

Check out Playbill.com to see what plays are happening on and off Broadway. You might also consider the Radio City Show, if so order tickets immediately, they may already be sold out. One romantic thing you can do is take her out for a special dinner and then a horse and buggy ride around Central Park.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning

I agree with Vogagereuse BUT on lastminutetravel.com the Beekman Towers Hotel is available for $149/night. This is a great deal for a one bedroom suite. Nice hotel near the UN. Not really convenient to the subway but other than that, very good. Do NOT be tempted to pick a cheaper hotel w/o checking reviews here. You could wind up in a bigger doghouse. You might also check special offers at the Park South Hotel (parksouthhotel.com). Just 2 ideas.

I agree, also about theater ticket info. Register at playbill.com to see discount ticket offers. Similar websites are theatermania.com, hitshowclub.com and broadwaybox.com

You can get discount tickets at the TKTS booth but with all the tourists in town, you'll wait in line forever. tdf.org is the website about info at the TKTS booth.

california
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning

Thanks for all your help. How is the weather down there during thanks giving??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning

Probably better than in Buffalo, but unpredictable. If you watch the Thanksgiving day parade, one year you see Matt & Katie all bundled up, the next it's balmy. Dress in layers is the best answer.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning

That $149 price that NYWhiz quotes is extremely good for a Thanksgiving stay!

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with planning

Hi, the Beekman Towers looks great. Coming to New York in December for the first time and $149 seems very reasonable for a suite so I will definitley book it. Just one thing - is the neighbourhood safe? Emily, Dublin, Ireland.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with planning

The neighborhood is VERY safe. It's not far from the UN so lots of security. It is also an upscale residential area. The only downside some people find with this location is it's a bit of a walk from the nearest subway station. The subway entrance would be on 50th & 3rd ave. It's quite near the east river if you look at a map. (It can get a bit windy there in winter so dress warmly!!) There are cross town buses on 49th and 50th st. (one goes east the other goes west) to get to the theater area etc. The hotel has a rest/bar on the roof with fabulous views.