We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis and citysights busses

Missouri
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
taxis and citysights busses

Hi! my two girls and I will be in NY soon, and someone had suggested the tour busses as a convenient means to get around. It sounds good, but we had planned to go to the Empire State building after the 8:00 Wicked, and a friend told me no cabs would take us on a short trip, there or back. We would need to get back to the San Carlos. Is this true? And is it right that the tour busses do not let you off at night to do the top of the Empire? Thanks for the info!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: taxis and citysights busses

The person you're speaking with is giving you terrible advice. The tour bus is not a way to get around the city, and cabs will absolutely take you on that trip.

However, why wouldn't you just save yourself trouble and take the subway?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,667 posts
13 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: taxis and citysights busses

Many tourists make what locals consider a mistake by using the hop on/off buses as a means of transportation thinking they are killing 2 birds with one stone. It's a particularly bad idea at holiday time when traffic is very bad. The fastest way to get around Manhattan is either by subway for longer trips or by foot!

It is true that it is both very hard to find a taxi after the theater and most drivers are not anxious to take you for a short trip, BUT, they are, by law, supposed to take you wherever you want to go within the city limits. One way to solve this problem IF you are lucky enough to have a taxi stop is to get into the cab BEFORE you tell him where you're going.

Different transportation is good at different times of day for different trips. For ex, to get from the Wicked theater to the ESB, if it's good weather, I'd walk there. I'd walk over to Fifth ave. and walk down Fifth ave. to 34 st. where ESB is. If not, I'd take a bus down Broadway to 34 st. and then walk over to Fifth ave. To get back to the San Carlos, either a taxi or a bus up Madison Ave.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,667 posts
13 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: taxis and citysights busses

The hop on/off buses only operate during the day.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: taxis and citysights busses

Welcome to the forum. In the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum is a thread about this very subject! Plus, two more threads on how to use our subway and how to hail a taxi. I agree - your friend gave you incorrect and misleading advice. Has this person ever been here and used the subways? Sheesh.

SHOULD I USE THE HOP-ON-HOP-OFF BUS AS TRANSPORTATION? Probably not, but it’s a nice way to see the city.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k759226-…

OUR FABULOUS SUBWAYS!! (alternative title: “is it true that millions of normal, law-abiding people really use the subways everyday, or will I be assaulted and robbed just like in the movies?”)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k405666-…

The_Idiot_s_Guide_to_the_Subway-

HOW DO I HAIL A TAXI? Taxis and rental cars:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s304/New-York-…

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: taxis and citysights busses

As Alice said, whoever gave you that advice is just wrong. I would really invest in a subway map and don't be afraid to use the subway.

Also, if you are not aware, the stagehands are on strike and Wicked is presently closed.

Here is a listing of closed plays, Wicked is the last one listed.

www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,374 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
6. Re: taxis and citysights busses

And, many cab drivers prefer short trips...

7. Re: taxis and citysights busses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:58 am, March 17, 2008
Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: taxis and citysights busses

Citycustomercare -

Please be aware that advertising on this forum is forbidden. While your posts are benign enough, you have been reported to the administrators.

9. Re: taxis and citysights busses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 23, 2009