We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with a plaster cast

Poole, Dorset
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying with a plaster cast

Hi

My husband was involved in a road traffic accident on Sunday, 1st Oct. He's broken a bone in his right foot & at the moment has a temporary plaster cast which is to be changed to a permanent one on Thurs, 4th Oct.

We're due to fly to Sharm el Sheikh on Monday, 8th Oct - anyone know if it's still possible to fly or will we have to cancel the holiday?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with a plaster cast

Check with his doctor.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,344 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with a plaster cast

I bet they were asking from a security standpoint... Just today there's an anecdotal travel piece in the Times business section about a guy flying with a head wound and gauze wrapped around his head. According to him other passengers gaped, but security didnt hassle him. Obviously this is one person's story...

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with a plaster cast

I've had the misfortune to have to travel with one twice. My experience, is that airlines wont accept you with a full cast. There is apparently too much risk of DVT. Both times I was allowed to travel with a 3/4 cast, bound with bandages. That way there is room for the limb to expand, and not be constricted by a fixed cast.

As other posters have said check with your doctor. On both my occasions, when the airlines saw verification from my doc that it was a 3/4 cast, I was allowed to travel.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with a plaster cast

Hmmm! October 1st around here was a Monday.

WHY would anyone ask what is obviously a medical question pertaining to a specific person's injury on the New York City travel forum?

Just asking................

5. Re: Flying with a plaster cast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 10, 2009