We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Tavern on the Green & Central Park

mississippi
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Tavern on the Green & Central Park

I am one of the few on this site who really enjoyed Tavern on the Green. The food was good, and the atmosphere was great. The waiting area outside was pleasant with trees and flowers and topiary animals. We went at lunchtime, but I can just imagine how pretty it would be with the lanterns lit. The interior was fantastic. My meal, with tip, ran about $42 (only coffee to drink) - more than I usually spend, but worth it for an occasional treat.

I would recommend that you have a good map before entering Central Park. We started out to see the castle. It was shown on the street map, but we decided to walk through the park. Bad mistake. The winding paths led us past many beautiful, peaceful sites, but we never found the castle, and spent far more time in the park than we intended. When we left, we walked by Trump Towers and decided to peek into the lobby of the hotel. There were eleven of us, and the staff did not look too pleased to see us, but before they through us out, we saw James Brown sitting on the couch. My niece asked if we could take a picture and he agreed. A staff member told us no cameras, but Mr. Brown told him that was fine. He stood up and shook hands with us and chatted a few minutes. He was the one celebrity we saw while there.

Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Tavern on the Green & Central Park

Glad to hear you enjoyed Tavern.. My hubby and I have reservations for Friday 5/19 lunch, we are looking forward to it.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Tavern on the Green & Central Park

Glad you had a nice time. I think it's a beautiful place, too.

Sorry you couldn't find the Castle. Sounds like you found your way to the area in the park known as the Ramble, which has lots of wooded paths, it's easy to get lost in there.