We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway vs Shakespeare

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Broadway vs Shakespeare

We are in NYC for a week and have tix for 2 musicals. We are debating whether or not to get tickets to another Broadway play or opt for free Shakespeare in the Park. Any suggestions?

NYC
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway vs Shakespeare

Shakespeare in the Park is great and very affordable! However, most of the time you will have to wait on line for quite a while in Central Park for tickets. So, that can take a lot out of a day's sightseeing, whereas with Bway you can buy in advance. The performances at Shakespeare are top notch and they get great and well known actors all the time.

The setting can't be beat.

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway vs Shakespeare

I noticed that they also have a place in GV where you can pick up tickets. We will actually be near NYU that day. Do you think that would be less of a line to get tickets?

NYC
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway vs Shakespeare

Did you read that they give out tickets at the Public Theater/Joe's Pub near Cooper Union? I assume that's the only other place they'd be set up to give out tickets. I always thought they only gave out tickets at the Delecourt Theater in Central Park. Anyway, when will you be here? The last two years in June during their performaces before the official opening, I have walked up on a Sunday and gotten tickets without any line or trouble. So, during some times it can be easy to get tickets.

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway vs Shakespeare

We are coming into town at the beginning of their season, the later part of June. Hopefully it won't be as crowded as later in the summer. Thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway vs Shakespeare

I would go to see Shakespeare in the Park. Its a wonderful experience. There is just something wonderful about seeing the shows outside.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway vs Shakespeare

Their site has more info:

http://www.publictheater.org/

I've been going to many years, and I love the setting and the fact that the performances are free. I usually find the casting uneven though. I might be a wee bit overcritical though, because I see so much theater.