We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fao NY Whizz

Fife, Scotland
4 posts
Save Topic
Fao NY Whizz

Thanks for your reply on my post theatre drinks query- looking for your advice on safety!

I appreciate that everywhere has a certain level of crime however how safe would it be (ovbiously not taking huge risks) to walk around at night - is it possible to soak up the atmosphere by just wakling around - more specifically Mid Town as this is where we are staying?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from $83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from $36.00*
SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fao NY Whizz

My husband and I have visited NY 3 times since 9/11, and we have found it to be one of the safest cities in the USA. We stay at the Hilton 6 ave, and we walk everywhere. We do get the subway during the day, but I prefer the bus as you can see all sorts of interesting stuff to check out later. We walk to and from midtown restaurants at night, and have had absolutely no problems. The only time I thought we were going to get mugged was in Vancouver Canada !

Enjoy NY - its a great place

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fao NY Whizz

Our Aussie friend is right. Midtown is pretty safe these days. Just keep on guard and try not to give anyone the idea that you are an easy mark, that is a target. Don't flash cash and look confident.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fao NY Whizz

You've gotten good advice. It's very safe. Just act like you belong (ie don't be walking with your head in the clouds staring at skyscrapers all the time :)

That said, holiday time is the time for pickpockets etc. Don't leave your handbag unattended or open. Have a great time.