We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

New England
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

You can go to their website and check out any violations for restaurants you are thinking of frequenting. I think I may have crossed a few off my list!http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/rii/index.shtml

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

thanls for the link, been having a lot of fun with that! Seems like mice in the restaurants are common-place?

New England
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

Eh... mice don't eat much!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

Crikey...what a site! I've been to a few places with the mice problem..would never have guessed!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

I suppose my curiousity will get the better of me and I'll end up looking. Sometimes, I think---do I really want to know? But then again, I've checked the Health Department site for restaurants in VA and ended up crossing a few of my list.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

I know what you mean SueFee....I had a really nice lunch last year in NYC and found on that site that it failed it's inspection altogether! That's made me think twiceabout returning, but the place was so canny and our sandwich a real treat. Do I go back|? Decisions, decisions! I think I'll be giving it a miss.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

Oh dear, I've gone through the whole of my list of restaurants and a few of them sound bad with mice/cockroaches etc so are now off the list. (I'm bored at work btw!)

Unfortunately, the only one that actually FAILED an inspection is the place I'm going to on my wedding day!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

I caution everyone not to overreact to the health listings. At some point or other, almost every restaurant in NYC has had a problem. The Carnegie Deli was actually closed down for several days a couple years ago for food temp. holding violations. It happens.

I have no idea what restaurants everyone posting so far is referring to so I just looked up River Cafe.

It failed an inspection. Why? Because it was not displaying it's restaurant permit properly.

If something like that prevents you from going to a restaurant... to each his/her own. Personally, it wouldn't concern me. If there were repeated violations for vermin, insects and such that would make me think twice.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

Voy, River Cafe was the one I was referring to when I said the one that FAILED! The reasons it failed won't prevent me from going there, some of the others however, that passed despite having evidence of vermin & cockroaches are definitely off the list! It makes you wonder how bad the evidence has to be before restaurants have to pull their socks up. And to fail the River Cafe over something so trivial is just bizarre.

Inverness
Level Contributor
169 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

Juniors has mice..... I don't care as it also has cheesecake!

west sussex
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nyc dept of health restaurant inspections

Ditto....I just hope they save some for me!