We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W hotels, what do you think?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
W hotels, what do you think?

Hi,

Thinking of staying in either the W new york or the W - the court over the christmas period. Both are pretty reasonably priced but I want to know, which is in the best area, close to bars restaurants? closest to subway etc. Which one has the best facilities? Is the bar and decor better at one than the other? We are in our early 30s and want something cool and fun but also dont want to sacrifice on comfort and cleanliness.

Thanks,

Ness

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

W hotels are all meant to be "cool". The ones you mentioned are actually not far from each other - about 10 blocks. The court is closer to Grand Central Station (court at 39th, Grand Central at 42nd, and NY at 50th) but the NY might have a more happening bar.

ues, new york city
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

the W NY would be better in my opinion... but a boutique hotel off 5th in midtown... the royalton(by Ian Scharager... same owners as the Delano in Miami), has a really hip trendy scene with tasteful minimalist modern decor, and by alot of great bars... www.royaltonhotel.com

HAVE FUN!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

The W New York has tiny tiny rooms. Look at the reviews. The W Court would be much better IMO but neither is in a "happening" neighborhood. The Court as someone said is near Grand Central so decent subway connections. The trendiest W is the one at Union Square which is a great young area with lots going on.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

The Royalton is a good idea too in the theater district, convenient for sightseeing and midtown shopping but also not a trendy hip area. The trendiest areas are further downtown. You might have a look at the Maritime Hotel. It's in Chelsea, has a great destination restaurant (Matsuri) and is in a fun area too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

I should add the rooms at the Maritime are also supposed to be very small (a real problem in NYC with trendy hotels) but at least there you're in a fun neighborhood whereas the W NY is just a regular midtown business area.

Y
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

Hi,

I also have been thinking about staying at W (or Westine) in NYC for upcoming August visit, so I have searched a bit.

This is more focused on starwood hotels but still I think it would help getting ideas. I am just copying the addresses from flyertalk.com , a member "AZ Travels the World"' posted.

================================

1. Best Starwood Property for tourists in NYC?

www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php…

2. New York - Best Category 4 or less

3. New York W Hotel(s) Question

4. Best *wood in NYC

New England
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

The W New York I believe just opened a bliss spa inside. they are supposed to be great!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

Wow thanks for all of your brilliant advice. Christmas the rates are crazy

Royalton $369 a night

Maritime $299 a night

W union square $329 a night

W the court and W new york $199 a night

Id love to stay in the other hotels but I just cant justify paying that much for a room that you really dont spend that much time in, that being said, still dont want a shoe box ... I have read the reviews. Any tips on how to get an upgrade? Or even a better rate on hotels for christmas? I seem to have a lot of seasoned travels ears???

Thanks again

Ness

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

What about W Tuscany? According to that link Y gave the Tuscany has a lot of big rooms and is usually only a bit more than the Court. That would be a good compromise. Join the Starwood program if you don't already belong and if between now and then you have occasion to travel, stay in a Starwood hotel. That's one way of getting an upgrade.

ues, new york city
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: W hotels, what do you think?

hey... i did some checking on the royalton's website and they have a promotional rate for your christmas time dates...325 standard or 345 for a superior room... i stayed there for 2 nights and I am reccomding it to you if you in the mood to have fun and hang around trendy surroundings (the decor here is way better than the W, if decor is important for you)... the lobby itself it like and ultralounge, but, if your in the mood for some quiet classic romance... than maybe your better off somewhere else.