We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair salons and tipping

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Hair salons and tipping

I have difficulty coping with washing and blow drying my hair, therefore while on holiday in New York I hope to use a hair salon. I would be grateful if someone could recommend a reasonably priced one and advise regarding tipping. I will be staying in the Avalon Hotel and would prefer somewhere close by.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,894 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Hair salons and tipping

Can't make a reco from personal experience but here are some options from NY Magazine's listings that seemed most appropriate either because of location or description or both. (If you want to have a look through yourself, here's the URL

newyorkmetro.com/search/stores_search.htm…

Not all are close by, but none are terribly far. You might find something right in the neighborhood by having a walk around. There is a chain of no appt places but I can't remember the name.

Christopher Stanley Salon

48 22nd St. (Chelsea)

near Sixth Ave.

212-924-2877

Services are reasonable (cuts, $95���$120), but the apprentice-training program is a great deal: Cuts and single-color process are $35 each; highlights are $75.

Blow Styling Salon

342 W. 14th St. (West Village)

near Ninth Ave.

212-989-6282

Blow Styling Salon proves that good hair can be affordable. The loftlike space offers appointment-free styling with blow-outs for $35

Tosler Davis

89 Fifth Ave. (Flatiron/Gramercy/Union Square)

near 16th St.

212-229-0100

British transplant Alan Tosler (a bargain himself at $110) is particularly adept with wavy hair and loves cultivating a sexily undone but still well-structured cut for artsy clients like Jessica Craig-Martin and Rachel Feinstein.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,894 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Hair salons and tipping

Tipping is usually 20% of the bill (for the hairdresser). Give the person who washes your hair $2-5 depending on how good/helpful they are.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
14 reviews
77 helpful votes
3. Re: Hair salons and tipping

The Avalon is on 32nd St between 5th Ave & Park Ave South, correct?

On Park Avenue South between 23rd & 24th Sts is a chain called Jean Louis David.

This might prove more reasonable for a blowout than some of the pricier salons, and it is a short walk from your hotel.

303 Park Avenue South.

212-260-3920

There is also a salon on E. 34th St. between Park & Lexington called Dramatics, also reasonably priced and walkable from the hotel

127 E 34 St - 212-686-8430.

Of the 2, I prefer Dramatics,but either would be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: Hair salons and tipping

Hello glaslas, i use the small salon around the corner from your hotel called Jose Merat. It is on 33rd between Madison and 5th, closer to Madison, a few doors down from the street corner. They take walk-ins, 212 725 0262. You should take a walk by while you're here to see what you think. A cut & blow dry is $40, so i guess a blow dry would be a lot cheaper. Tipping...$3 to girl who washes your hair, and $5- less than $10 for the person who styles it. If you got to a more expensive salon, expect to tip more. Be careful of the chains, they can be a hit&miss....usually a miss.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Hair salons and tipping

I use Jose Merat salon, around the corner from your hotel, this would be very convenient. It is on 33rd street between Madison ave and 5th ave, closer to madison, just a few doors down. Take a walk past when you're here to check it out. Without an appointment it is cheaper for a cut and style = $40, so style-only should be cheaper.

Tipping $3 to the girl who does your hair, and $5-$10 for the stylist, wouldn't give $10 if yours is an easy job.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
43 posts
6. Re: Hair salons and tipping

Thanks all for the good advice. I will only be looking for a wash and blow dry so therefore I will go for Josie Merat for price and convenience. My second choice is Dramatics. This will be my first experience of a hair salon in another country, however I will feel more confident knowing exactly how much to tip! Thanks again.

Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
47 helpful votes
7. Re: Hair salons and tipping

Hi Glaslass,

I am like yourself, hair is long and is always in need of a good blow dry. I am going out on the 24th May for five nights and will be checking out a hair salon. If you are going after me, I will let you know how I get on. On my last trip, I did go to a Jean Louis David, which is a chain, it was on Lexington, my sister and I weren't impressed.

I have been recommended a salon called Warren-Tricanu, on 16w 5715 ave, does anybody know anything about this salon?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
8. Re: Hair salons and tipping

If you go to a hair salon and the proprietor cuts your hair, then you do not tip.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
23 reviews
54 helpful votes
9. Re: Hair salons and tipping

Does anyone know of anywhere to have a wash and blow dry (blow out) in Soho. Do salons open on Sundays?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
24 helpful votes
10. Re: Hair salons and tipping

MJ London,

I go to Devachan Salon in Soho. It's address is 560 Broadway, between Spring and Prince. It's near the N/R Prince subway stop, next door to Dean and Deluca in the basement of an office building. They are closed on Sunday and Monday, though. Their website is www.devachansalon.com, phone number-(212)274-8686.

I have been going there for about a year, and driving back from Baltimore for it for the last six months. It's wonderful! They specialize in curly hair (which I have); I have gotten the best cut and color I've ever had there. I've never had a blowout there, just a styling. I would assume that they would do a good job, though, since the majority of their blowouts involve straightening curly hair. Their shampoo chairs are so comfortable, they give a wonderful scalp massage, and their products smell so good! The website lists the price for a blowout as "$45 and up".