We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money for 5 days

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
939 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Money for 5 days

I have a nephew going to NYC with students from his high school class. The school is paying for 4 meals, don't know which ones. They will be site seeing, bus rides, etc. What is a good idea of how much money, per day, he will need? Would $150/day be okay?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money for 5 days

It depends on what kind of spender he is. I'm assuming hotel will be paid for, but how about extras, like show tickets, etc.?

I think $150 a day would be fine for anyone!

Hewlett, New York
Level Contributor
678 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money for 5 days

My husband and I usually allow $200/day which does not include dinner (and show tickets are already usually paid for).

It does include some light shopping, but anything big ticket gets charged.

Come to think of it...what the heck do we do with $200/day???

I think $150 is fine, as long as all tours/shows are pre-paid.

:-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money for 5 days

as a family of 5 last time we took $2000 for 5 days and spent it all but $97 :(. What is he doing? are any sightseeing things paid for already etc? Maybe work out what he will be wanting to see and check out prices online and account for that then work out an average for meals etc plus extra.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money for 5 days

I had a friend visit me for the day, i nearly died when i heard she'd brought $10! Lunch was a hot dog from a street vendor $1.50, i paid for the tix for the Empire state building, dinner was McDonalds, hope she's not reading this.

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money for 5 days

She would be a cheap date to take out.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money for 5 days

LOL Waterford!!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Money for 5 days

Now I'm a bit worried... I have budgeted for $100 US/day each (There are 2 of us). Is this realistic? Or do I need to re-evaluate? We've paid for hotel, 1 b-way show, new york pass already.

Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money for 5 days

Q&P you will just have to be careful where you eat. If you both have to eat 3 meals a day, b'fast, lunch and dinner...lets say cheap deli breakfast sandwich juice and cookies = $12 each;

lunch $20 each, then cheap dinner, no alcohol, can be done for $25 each (maybe), that's $57 a day..on the cheap. Now if you want to eat like my friend did, then all you'd need would be about $15 a day lol!

I usually eat in low to mid range restaurants with main courses from $15-$25, plus soda, $2.50, plus dessert $6, add an alcoholic beverage another $8, plus tax and tip i'd be paying about $40 for dinner alone. Guess it could be done on $100 a day, with not much left over for fun.

Belgium
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Money for 5 days

Q & P, we also have 1Broadwaysh., paid hotel & NYPass, and we have an amount of 160$ pp/day. I've been calculating and we will sort it out, I'd rather have a nice & not so expensive breakfast, a hotdog at lunch and a fancy dinner, offcourse it depends on what you want/expect of your trip, but I think you will be just fine...have a great time!