We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fao Bettina - Air Train

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fao Bettina - Air Train

Hi Bettina, We intend catching the Air-Train from JFK to ? we are staying at the Travel Inn W42nd st. This is going to sound really dumb but does this train go underground or overground?? I thought it may be like the London Subway. Could you please enlighten me.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fao Bettina - Air Train

Dancer, understand that the AirTrain does not go to Manhattan. You take the Airtrain from your airline terminal to Jamaica, where you switch to either the subway (the E train) or to the Long Island Railroad.

The LIRR runs above ground for awhile then goes underground under the East River and in Manhattan. The E train is pretty much underground all the way.

The E train will take you to 42nd & 8th, about 2-1/2 blocks away from the Travel Inn. The LIRR will take you to Penn Station, which is on 33rd and 8th

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fao Bettina - Air Train

just wondered which one is safer at night about 10ish? I think we are going to just get a limo etc (but there is 6 of us so not sure maybe the supershuttle instead) but just in case wondered which one is safer and does the E train go downtown at all or do we have to change? we are staying at embassy suites downtown. cheers

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fao Bettina - Air Train

Irishdancer, Ruffian's the expert.... I've never taken the Airtrain.

PFK, I'm not sure of the exact location of the Embassy Suites, but I'm pretty sure the E train will get you there... the last stop on the train is the World Trade Center station.