We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code

Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Dress Code

I'm coming to New York in July, I'm 29 and want to enjoy the nightlife and get out to a few bars and clubs. Can somebody help me out with what the dress code is fo most of these places.

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code

The one rule that most places have is No jeans and No sneakers

uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code

Can you wear smart jeans (dark denim)?

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code

It mainly up to the individual clubs rules, you may get away with very dark denim, its worth a try!! The club may relax the dress code if they are quiet, but there isnt much hope of finding a quiet club in NY!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code

Is it mainly for clubs that dress code applys or is it also for bars

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code

Most clubs have a dress code, and it s all depends on what type of bar it is, I went to the Mobar at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel ( thanks for that recommendation Bettina, loved it!!) they had a dress code which was smart dress, we went there after our Broadway show so we were already dressed up! It may be best to call in advance to find out the dress code for the places you want to go.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code

cmaxx, nice view, eh? Glad you liked it. Expensive but worth it.

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code

Actually I was expecting it to be alot more expensive than it was, On my next trip I am defintly going there again!!!!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code

If you dress up a bit you should have no problem. Designer jeans with good leather shoes, a collared shirt and a sports jacket will take you almost anywhere. Beat-up low or baggy jeans with a tee shirt and scruffed up previously white running shoes may interefere with your evening plans.

Montreal, Que
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress Code

Does the same type of dress code apply to places frequented by people in their (very) early 20's?