We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moss

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Topic
Moss

Are there any other shops like this one ?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moss

There are other shops with cutting edge furniture and design; however, I am not an expert on them and could not possibly tell you whether they are the equal of moss.

I suggest you do a search on newyorkmetro.com for furniture and accessories and see what you come up with. I imagine you will find similar shops, most likely in the downtown area.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moss

Hi mauricio

the MoMA museum shops (one on 53rd across from MoMA, one in Soho on Spring St.) are similar to Moss in terms of the well-designed items they carry. After you go to Moss, continue down Greene St. & check out the other furniture stores...lots of fun places to duck into. (one right next to Moss, but I can't remember the name right now!)

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moss

Thank you...The Conran Shop under the queensboro bridge is another one somebody told me is worth the trip...ever been there?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moss

I have walked by that shop, but never gone in. You might want to check it out. It was purpose built by Conran at the same time that he developed the adjacent space under the bridge as Guastavino's restaurant. Also, a couple of small shops related to home furnishings have opened on 59th Street, between 1st and 2nd Avenues, just down the block from Conran's. I'm not sure any of these would merit a special trip, but if you're going to be in the neighborhood anyway to check out Conran's, you might want to walk down that block.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moss

A couple of other things came to mind as I was thinking of the area around the Queensboro bridge, things you might want to check out if you do go to that neighborhood.

1. If you were to turn left and walk east after you came out of the Conran store, 59th Street would end at Sutton Place after one block. You might want to stroll two or three blocks down Sutton to have a look at the typical luxury apartment buildings and townhomes that were developed in this area starting in about the 1920s. A couple of streets (58th and 57th) end in charming little parks and squares overlooking the East River (I believe it was at the one at 58th where Woody Allen filmed the opening shots of "Manhattan").

2. If you were to turn right and walk west after you came out of the Conran store, you would head down 59th street toward Bloomingdale's, which is at Third Av and 59th. Right across 59th from it is a big new tower that is a combination of commercial and residential space and is about to open. Can't remember the name of the architect on this one, but it's called the Beacon Tower, so you might be able to find it on the Internet. Another thing that's interesting about this building is that it houses, on its lower levels, the second "Home Depot" store to open in Manhattan. It's only recently that what Americans call "big box" stores have moved into Manhattan. Occasionally they move into new space like this, but they have often had to renovate big old spaces. A problem for Home Depot with this space was where to accommodate the big trucks that deliver their goods, as the adjacent streets are too congested for them to park there. The solution was the creation of giant elevators within this new building that the big trucks just drive into from the street, to be lowered to the Home Depot warehouse space below ground.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moss

Correction -- the name of that new building across from Bloomingdale's is Beacon Court, not Beacon Tower. It's also sometimes referred to as the Bloomberg Tower, because the Bloomberg news organization is moving in as a commercial tenant.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moss

The architects for that building are Cesar Pelli and Rafael Pelli.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moss

Hi

The Conran shop is nice too...glass curtain wall space above, huge lower level with furniture. Fun to walk through, the furniture is not of the same quality as the Moss or MoMA stores but lots of nicely designed household accessories for sale. Rosa Mexicano restaurant is nearby too (dinner 5-11:30pm)!

Also another shop I remembered downtown called 'The Apartment'...set up like an apartment w/items for sale...

101 Crosby St.

Check out this link for more shops: homeportfolio.com/GetInspired/DesignTour/Nyc

Call first to make sure these are still current (a few listings look dated).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moss

Not sure whether you're looking for furniture or accessories or gifts or just store design. If you tell us, might have a few more thoughts.

Felissimo is one of my favorites midtown at 10 w 56 st. for unusual gifty things. They have a limited amount of stuff on the web at felissimo.com Right nearby is Takishamaya on Fifth Ave at 54-55 st also has very unusual things in a larger space. Also near these 2 places, if you're interested in home design you should go to Bergdorf Goodman's housewares dept. It may not be cutting edge modern, but it's got great stuff.

Jonathan Adler is a designer who's become very popular. He started off designing pottery (mid century look) and has moved into lots of other things. He's got 2 shops, one in Soho and the other uptown on Madison Ave. Jonathanadler.com

Other places you should check out

Compact-Impact

21 Ave. B (Lower East Side)

at 2nd St.

212-677-0500

compact-impact.com

Mxyplyzyk

125 Greenwich Ave. (West Village)

near 13th St.

212-989-4300

mxyplyzyk.com

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moss

I just thought of another place you might want to check out when you're downtown visitng moss. There's a wonderful Apple Computer store in SoHo (on either Prince or Spring street). Even if you don't have an Apple or want one, this is an inviting and appealing store where you can try everything and the staff is friendly and knwledgeable.