We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to shop in NY (original things)?

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
what to shop in NY (original things)?

hi,

well i'm a fan shopping, this will be one of my principals activity lol, i've already noted a lot of shopping adresses, but i would like to know if you could give some adresses, funny shoppings, things that doesn't exist outside the usa....i will bring lots of clothes and food of course lol, but maybe in ny you have some good adresses about anything, but something original or eccentric to bring back to france. it can be really anything, food, clothes, objects, gadgets, decoration....thank you for your help :)

alexandra

NY,NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

Go to Soho, the village, and places near New York University.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

newyorkmetro.com/urban/…

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

thank you :)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

Hi Alexandra -- you didn't say when you were coming. Between Thanksgiving (Nov. 26) and Christmas Eve, you'll find terrific crafts bazaars in Grand Central Station's main waiting room, in Bryant Park (42nd St. & 6th Ave.), and in Union Square Park. There are also flea markets around town. I think the best of those, where you can buy mostly new stuff and lots of unusual gifts, is open every Sunday at Columbus Ave. at 77th Street.

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

hi bettina, i'm coming the 25th of december until the 1st january.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

Well, you just miss the holiday bazaars. But you'll find plenty of sales all over the city. And the Columbus/77th St. flea market on Sunday is terrific.

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

ok thanks :)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

Another thought... Even if you do not visit the Transit Museum (which is in downtown Brooklyn), you can buy subway-themed gifts in the shop located in Grand Central Station. It's tucked away on the western side, so you might have to ask. Cute stuff like socks, mouse pads, umbrellas, change purses, jewelry... all with subway themes.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
260 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to shop in NY (original things)?

You know in Paris outside the Samaritaine dept store (I think it is the Samaritaine...) where there are all these booths set up with vendors selling inexpensive purses, scaves, hats, etc? Chinatown in New York is just like that with New York type stuff and in little tiny shops instead of booths... Check out Canal Street... I also think there are cool things to purchase from The Metropolitan Museum of Art store... and the MOMA design store... (PS, we are going to be in NY the same time as you are! we can't wait!)