We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

Las Vegas, Nevada
14 posts
Save Topic
Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

After visiting friends in Rochester in early July, was planning to take the 8am Amtrak to NYC. It would be my husband and I with our 7 and 5 yr. old sons. The trip is 7 1/2 hrs. I'm having second thoughts after seeing that JetBlue is so cheap and the flight is less than 1 1/2 hour.

Hubby thinks the train trip would be a great experience, but those second thoughts are haunting me. Would appreciate recommendations.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

Personally, I think the train is good for short hauls but 4 hours to DC is my limit, unless price is a big factor. To Rochester - I would take a plane. Besides JetBlue from JFK, US Air from LGA and Continental from EWR fly to Rochester direct and their fares are usually pretty similar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

It depends if being kind to the environment is of any concern to you, if it is then take the train

If you value your time and convenience as being more important then I would suggest that the flight is for you.

ne ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

I think the train is a great time. I've taken Amtrak from Rochester to San Francisco and back--twice. I've gone from Rochester to Albany and Rochester to NYC. The views of the area are something you just can't get from a plane. However, I've never done the trip with my kids, so I guess it depend on how well you think your kids would do on a 7 hour trip. The trains between Rochester and NYC are not as nice as the trains that travel out west, so you are a little cramped, but you can get up and walk around so that makes it more enjoyable. I personally think the kids would enjoy it, and they would get to see a bit more. I also love talking to the different people on the train. They seem a bit more relaxed than the jet set, but that's just been my experience. I'm saving up to take my kids to the west coast via Amtrak. The experience can't be beat!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

I guess I'll go against the grain and vote for JetBlue. That's what I did this last year from Washington DC and it was a very, very pleasant experience. I'm sure your boys will enjoy having their very own tv for the flight. I'm sure the scenery is beautiful if you go the Amtrak route, but let's be honest here: since when have you known a 5 and 7 year olds who appreciate scenery?? Take the flight. Just my 2 cents!

5. Re: Amtrak or JetBlue from Rochester NY to NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 01, 2009