We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about riding the subway

daphne, al
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about riding the subway

I would appreciate help with trying to plan a subway ride on my trip to NYC (1st time visitor). If I take the N or R train and head south, can I get back on the N or R train when it's time to go home? In other words, does each train go both directions?

Where do I buy tickets to ride?

How do I know when it is time to get off the subway? (I will know the street I want to get off on, but how will I be able to tell when I am there?)

I hate to sound completely dumb, but on this subject I guess I am!

One additional question that's not related- do stores and restaurants accept travelers' checks there?

Thanks! Pat

new york
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about riding the subway

When it comes to the NYC subway system, there's no dumb questions. Generally speaking all the lines run back and forth on the same line. But on weekends you have to be careful because of repair schedules. The MTA reroutes some trains in the most confusing way imaginable. There's a good website called hopstop.com that can give you detailed instructions on how to get from one place to the other and you can log on to the MTA website for pdfs of the subway maps. The stops are generally announced over a loudspeaker on the train, but it's not unusual for the speakers to not work. The subway stations are clearly marked on the platform, and some of the signs are quite beautiful.

I don't know about travelers checks, no one uses them anymore. There's an ATM every 10 feet in NY.

Have a good trip.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about riding the subway

RE: Travellers Checks - They are NOT the same as cash. Most places will accept them, some may ask for ID, but no one has to (there might be an exception for AMEX travellers checks for busineses that accept the AMEX cards, but I'm not sure). It's best to ask first. Taxi cabs do not take them. The MTA (subway system) does not either. A few places that say CASH ONLY won't take them either. Unless they are sold by a specific bank many banks won't cash them (ie if the bank sells brand X Travelers checks they will only cash brand X checks).

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about riding the subway

Department Stores and some of the larger restaurants will accept traveler's checks but it is easier to use a credit card. You can also use your bank card to get cash at ATMs which are on every corner. If you already bought the traveler's checks, your hotel will probably cash some ever day for you but they usually have a limit. You can buy the Metro card which is used on the subways and buses at every subway station. You can use a machine which will take cash and credit cards or a "ticket seller" who will only take cash. A ride (for any distance) on the subway or bus costs $2. If you put $10 on your Metro Card , you get one free ride for a total of 6.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about riding the subway

Be careful before you enter a subway station that your train stops there. In most instances, there are separate entrances for trains going in opposite directions. It'll be marked at street level though. If might say "Downtown Only," for example. In that case, the other direction is usually directly across the street. If you don't immediately see the other entrance, just ask whoever is walking by where you need to go. New Yorkers love to help.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about riding the subway

Unelss there is some out-of-the-ordinary condition (such as repair on the southbound tracks, but not the northbound), a train that stops at a station in one direction will also stop in that station going the other way. However, this also means that a train(such as an express) which skips a station (that is, a local -only stop) going one way will also skip it coming back.

You buy your MetroCard in the station. Some stations have multiple entrances, with multiple locations where MetroCard machines can be found. Some entrances are only part time, and this fact is shown by a light with a red shade over the entrance. These entrances may not always have MetroCard machines. You will always find an open entrance and a place to buy MetroCards, and a staffed booth, at the entrances with the green shaded lights.

You know what station you are at by looking out the window -- the station's name is marked plainly on the wall, and on the columns by the track. There are usually announcements on the train as well, but sometimes they do not work. It is always best to know the name of the stations that come before yourse. For example, if you were going to Fulton Street on the #4, and you were aware that Brooklyn Bridge was the station that comes immediately before Fulton Street, when you saw you were at Brooklyn Bridge you would be able to prepare to get off at the next stop.

California
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about riding the subway

GWB wrote a great post which is here:

tripadvisor.com/…2444514

And don't worry, it's really not that difficult to maneuver!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about riding the subway

as Bettina says people are generally very happy to assist you,with any subway queries. check with your hotel,as well;they often have subway maps and will show you the train/route you need to take. while on the trains do look at all the old -time mosaics,tiles,out the windows.when i was growing up it was all very grimey-now you can see hats,animals,etc...along the walls,depending on which area you are in. the Street names will also be in tiles on the walls.

don't be shy about asking for help;it is better to suffer a little embarrassment then be going a ways out of your way!

have fun!

California
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about riding the subway

I think there's a $24 unlimited metro use card for 7 days right, is it worth getting? will be at eastgate and be using public transportation often.. does it include buses as well?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about riding the subway

The unlimited Metro Cards also include buses but only one person can use each card.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about riding the subway

Hgly - yes, MetroCards include both subways and buses.

(If you want to get technical, I'm not sure the unlimited MetroCards can be used on Express buses, but you won't use those buses anyway. They are really for commuters from various parts outside Manhattan. You'll be using regular city buses.)

Is an unlimited weekly card worth it? Too subjective. But, you can do some simple guesstimating to figure it out for yourselves.

Basic premise: each entry into the subway or bus system costs $2.00.

The unlimited weekly is $24. Will you be taking more than 12 rides during your trip? (transfers bwn subways and buses are free, so don't count those.)

Remember, you CAN NOT share unlimited MetroCards amongst your party for a group entry into the system. In other words, you can't use the unlimted to get in, and then pass it to your wife, child, etc.

You CAN share the pay-per-ride card. So you can load it up with money, and then draw down each time you swipe the card through the turnstile, like a debit card.