We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations - midtown

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Hotel recommendations - midtown

Hello all,

Will be in NYC for 5 nights from 31 March to 5 April 2019 with my wife to celebrate her 40th birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary.

Looking for hotel recommendations in the midtown area. Given we are only there for 5 nights we’d prefer to be close to the action. Prefer to find a cool hotel that also provides a room with a nice view. A rooftop bar or nice spot for a drink would be an advantage. The Hell’s Kitchen area sounds good for nice restaurants. Budget of around $400-500usd per night.

Any ‘must do’ recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kane

10 replies to this topic
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

We stayed at Residence Inn by Marriot near Pryant park, the room was spacious compared to NY hotels and had a kitchenette with basin, fridge and microwave.

There are no activities in the hotel itself but you can enjoy having brunch in pryant park, we used to get our food from whole Food Market right infront of the hotel and have it in the park.

Times square is walkable, and I recomment staying away from TS as it gets really crowded.

If you wanna stay at Hell’s kitchen, there is a noce Holoday Inn out there.

Good luck

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

I stayed at the Hudson Hotel on 58th Street, close enough to a lot of attractions, restaurants and bars. There is a rooftop bar.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,826 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

Midtown is not the only area for nightlife. In fact many would say it's too touristy. But some midtown hotels that have views in some rooms and also a rooftop bar open in winter are the Knickerbocker, the Marriott Marquis and Ink48. The London is in a great location and has some suites with gorgeous views, but it doesn't have a rooftop bar. The Lotte Palace has gorgeous views in rooms but no rooftop bar. The Refinery is a nice boutique hotel with a rooftop bar, but the rooms themselves don't have views.

If you want to consider options further downtown, the Mondrian Park Ave, the Dominick and the Bowery hotel are some others.

Rivercafe.com

in Brooklyn is a popular option for a celebratory meal. Manhatta is a newer place with great views although the food is getting mixed reviews.

A cruise with

Sail-nyc.com

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

I really like the Innside Hotel (Chelsea area) when I stayed a few years ago, they have a little outside area at the front of the hotel which for nice for a drink

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
158 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

I loved Arlo Nomad, it has a fabulous roof top bar with a perfect view of the Empire State building. The rooms are small but very cozy

New York, NY
Level Contributor
326 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

There are lots of neighborhoods with action. Times Square has tourists but few good nightlife spots. I’d say the Hudson hotel is the best location for your criteria or near Lincoln center.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
326 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

I wonder why everyone comes here thinking Times Square is the equivalent to downtown in their own cities ? Most people wouldn’t go to midtown for dinners out or nightlife. I can see if you are a theater junkie maybe...

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
115 reviews
8. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

"Given we are only there for 5 nights we’d prefer to be close to the action." I think most people think of Times Square as "the action," but it's simply a few blocks with very bright lights, and for most becomes old after a half hour or so. Otherwise it's painfully crowded, difficult to walk around in, people pushing, stopping because they're lost and interrupting the flow, and it's great for pickpockets, terrible for youngsters who can easily get scared not being able to see anything at all except people's legs and bags.

You are coming at a time of year that is usually very cold, can be snowy, freezing. Outdoor rooftop bars may not be open.

The Salon de Ning in the Peninsula Hotel is a small, romantic rooftop bar (enclosed for the most part), where you can usually hear yourself think above the music/din. Delicious drinks. Expensive and worth it, imo.

Some might consider Rockefeller Center as "in the action." There's a great (but expensive) bar there called Bar 65 (65th floor). Light bites and drinks. Dress code (men must wear shirts with collars, no sneakers, jackets encouraged). I would think this a perfect place for an anniversary or birthday toast. Remember, you're paying for the view as well as the drinks.

If you wanted to splash out a bit, here are a couple of ideas for those dates:

The Bryant Park Hotel is close enough to "the action" that I think you'd be very pleased. It has a room with view of Bryant Park for $449.10 advance purchase, $499 no advance purchase.

The Knickerbocker (right in TS) has a rooftop bar and comes in at $353/night on Booking.com (I would contact the hotel directly to see if they have a lower price).

If you like books, you might be delighted with the Library Hotel, close to Grand Central and to the NY Public Library. (Close enough to "the middle of things" but far enough away to be saner.) Deluxe room with king bed, $370.40/night + tax, includes breakfast, wine & cheese in the evening, cookies and coffee all day. There is an small outdoor bar/garden (but again you may find yourselves indoors).

On the Upper East Side -- let's call it the shopping part of town, Museum Mile a block away -- The Carlyle Hotel (76th and Madison) has a quiet courtyard view room with king bed for $495/night. Luxury.

Edited: 1:12 pm, October 17, 2018
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,826 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

These days the upper east side is the antithesis of “the action.” I certainly wouldn't pay $500+ for a courtyard room there. It,s a good area for museum goers but otherwise, you,d want something else.

I think with your generous budget, you have loads of good choices. My picks would be

The Knickerbocker in midtown west

Mondrian Park Ave. or NY Edition in flatiron just south of midtown

The Dominick, Sixty Soho or the James in Soho

The Bowery or the Ludlow on the lower east side

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Hotel recommendations - midtown

Staying close to Hells Kitchen is not a bad place to stay imo. Lots of food options there, it's close to the theater district and midtown sights. So I don't mind it.

One hotel in the west of Hells Kitchen is the Ink48 Hotel. Rooms there are within budget for your dates, even the CityView room which has amazing views of the city. That would be my choice.

And their rooftop bar is really lovely with amazing views of the city and also over the Hudson River..

The downside is that it's a 10 min walk to the nearest subway station. But the eating and quiet area makes up for it imo.

https://www.ink48.com/

Another one to consider on the south side of Central Park is the Residence Inn Central Park. Gorgeous park views and city views from there too.

I haven't checked the rates for that one though.

https:/…

Reply to: Hotel recommendations - midtown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted