We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Toronto to New York

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
17 reviews
Trip from Toronto to New York

Thinking of a long weekend in November to see Springsteen on Broadway.

It seems the train from TO gets in quite late (9:45). Buffalo seems to have an earlier train. We were thinking of staying overnight in Buffalo and catch the early morning train to New York to arrive late afternoon. Have any Canadians or Western New Yorkers tried this? Any obvious flaws in this plan? Thanks.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from $34.00*
8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
1. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

Just be aware that Amtrak long distance trains can easily run a couple of hours late. How much time have you given yourself in between? Time to get to your hotel and drop off your luggage?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,489 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

Have you checked air fares on Porter from Toronto-Billy Bishop to Newark? They do seem to have low fare specials at times.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,482 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

Have you looked at Springsteen ticket prices and availability???? If yes, then FLY either Fromm Buffalo or on Porter. Forget the train. Trip takes forever. If you can afford Springsteen tickets, you can afford to fly.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

I've gotten to New York many ways from Montreal:

- by car took me approximately 6 hours to get to the New Jersey and then I can't even tell you what the drive in New York City was like, I've driven in traffic many times but this was something else

- by train (not the one from Montreal that takes too long - 12 hours), I drove 3 hours to Rensselaer in Albany and took the 3.5 hour train to New York

- by plane, still my favorite and I do believe, as nywhiz mentions, that Porter offers very good rates from Toronto to New York

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,463 posts
693 reviews
5. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

whiz is right, Bruce is sold out although there are resale tix available for a healthy charge.

Porter Air is a great way to get to/from the GTA. The train takes FOREVER and isn't cheap. Flights from Buffalo might also be a good option

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
269 reviews
6. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

I agree with the other posters and would fly down to NYC as it's just over an hour flight and you can do the pre customs clearance at Toronto. The train is a long trip and not much difference in price.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
86 reviews
7. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

Long distance Amtrak trains tend to get poor reviews in regards to food, cleanliness of restrooms and compartments, etc. A number of routes are shared with freight trains which take precedence while the Amtrak trains wait on sidings. The Boston-NYC-DC corridor is probably the best and most acceptable Amtrak service. Customs can be a slow process on the train. Flying is the best way to go as mentioned.

Edited: 9:42 am, September 24, 2018
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
155 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Trip from Toronto to New York

As a fellow Toronto native I would advise to fly - taking the train is a nightmare, I did it once years ago and will never again because of the time and hassle. If you are going to fly out of buffalo you might get a deal but Porter has some pretty good deals on right now. Good luck :)

Reply to: Trip from Toronto to New York
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted