We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ellis Island hard hat tour

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Ellis Island hard hat tour

I am a huge fan of the NPS, they usually gives excellent tours and interpretations. I was wondering if the hard hat tour of Ellis Island was no exception....is it worth the extra money?

7 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,616 posts
632 reviews
1. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

No need for a hard hat on Ellis Island, at least it wasn't when I went.

new york
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

I did the Hard Hat Tour 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. I thought it was definitely worth the money.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
199 posts
3. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

I really enjoyed it as well. It takes you into the buildings not restored, hence the hard hat. Our guide was great.

Virginia
Level Contributor
341 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

Absolutely worth it!! Small groups, really interesting spaces. Went with our daughter who is really into photography and she had fabulous photos at the end of it, but so did we - the spaces are just that great! We had kind of laughed when they emphasized staying with the group, but then realized it is so easy to get distracted that you could lag too far behind. Having done this once, we would absolutely take this tour again.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,401 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

I loved it. Look at my profile for photos and a review.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
451 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

I loved it - one of the highlights of a recent trip. Although it's heading into cooler weather now so it's a moot point, be aware that closed-toed shoes are required for the tour. Enjoy!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,207 posts
7. Re: Ellis Island hard hat tour

For anyone wondering, the Hard Hat tour is a special tour of unrestored usually nonpublic parts of the island and yes - it does require wearing a hard hat https:/…hard-hat-tours.html

The restored Ellis buildings are included the regular Statue Cruises tickets. The Hard Hat requires a more expensive ticket and tour group sizes are limited.

Reply to: Ellis Island hard hat tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted