We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from jfk

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
330 posts
55 reviews
Taxi from jfk

Hi if I just come out of terminal and grab a taxi will it be the same price as if I were to prebook dial 7 cars?

Dial 7 have said $48 plus tip and toll which comes to around $66 plus tip .

I’m thinking if it’s gonba be the same price for a yellow cab then I’ll just wait till I arrive

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,285 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from $34.00*
10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Taxi from jfk

About the same.

I usually find that the taxi queue is very small at JFK and I'm in a cab within minutes, rather than waiting for a car service.

You could always take a car service back to the airport when you're leaving NYC. It's easier than hailing a cab then.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,748 posts
247 reviews
2. Re: Taxi from jfk

Yes, we taxi in from the airport and then use Dial 7 to return on departure day.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,070 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Taxi from jfk

Just don't let anyone convince you to get into anything other than a yellow cab from the official dispatcher at the end of the taxi line. The touts can be very persuasive. Just don't buy it. I have friends who live in NYC (one of whom is Brooklyn born & bred & they advise a taxi from the airport & a car service like Dial 7 or Carmel to the airport.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
115 reviews
4. Re: Taxi from jfk

Agree with everyone else -- Taxi upon arrival (avoid the touts, yes! They even come onto the line to try to steer you away now--just ignore them and proceed onto the line), car service on return. Several car services mentioned frequently on the board: Carmel, Dial 7, Allstate Limo.

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
330 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Taxi from jfk

Great thanks and are the cabs the same price as car service?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
115 reviews
6. Re: Taxi from jfk

There's a flat fee for taxis from and to JFK: $52.80 plus toll ($8.50, if the driver takes a route that requires one) and tip (about 20%). If you are traveling during evening rush hour, though (4-8 p.m.) there is a mandatory additional $4.50. So for non-rush hour trips, about $70 all in. Rush hour trips, $75.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,241 posts
7. Re: Taxi from jfk

Depends

Yellow cabs are a fixed rate between JFK and Manhattan that comes to about $70 after tip and tolls. Destinations in other boroughs are on the meter and costs will vary by time/distance nyc.gov/html/…taxicab_rate.shtml

Car services will offer a fixed rate (plus tip and tolls) and prices will vary by the size of vehicle they consider appropriate (Four people can it in a standard cab, but car services sometimes prefer to send larger more expensive vehicles depending on the number of people and amount of luggage)

The quote you mentioned is probably for a sedan similar in size to a typical cab - car services try to stay competitively priced.

The reason getting a car service at the airport is a bit of extra effort is that they cannot wait at the curb for you and stay in a nearby cell phone lot for a call from their dispatcher. Unless you pay a premium for a "meet and greet" inside the terminal you contact them when ready to be picked up and they tell you where on the curb to meet the car.

portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
330 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Taxi from jfk

Thanks guys

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
61 reviews
9. Re: Taxi from jfk

LizzieandIzzy you mention that evening rush hour is from 4pm to 8pm. Could you tell me what is the morning rush hours?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,866 posts
10. Re: Taxi from jfk

There is only a surcharge during the evening rush hours.

Reply to: Taxi from jfk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted