We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Hey, guys! Travelling to NYC next year with my wife. This will be our 3rd time visiting. Absolutely love the place, favourite city in the world. Our number 1 priority is eating and drinking. We have already been to numerous “must-do” restaurants on the previous trips. This time, while planning, it’s become apparent that Italian restaurants are our favourite by a long way.

We have 7 dinners available, with 4 already locked in, non negotiable. These are:

LILIA (been previously, number 1 meal ever, must return)

MISI

RUBIROSA

LIL FRANKIE’S

EMILIO’S BALLATO

So, we have 2 nights open with a cavalcade of potential options. Hoping anyone here might be able to swing our decisions. Food quality, venue, ambience, atmosphere, drinks etc etc all important. Want to stay within manhattan, as we’ll already be in Brooklyn twice.

In our thinking so far, we have:

Carbone

L’Artusi

Via Carotta

Babbo

Charlie Bird

Del Posto

Cafe Altro Paradiso

Any input welcome. Thanks!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,285 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from $34.00*
19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
1. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Oops, wrote we have 4 locked in. Clearly that was supposed to say 5!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,985 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Via Carota is good and I love Lilia too.

Misi I’m interested in trying.

What about Maialino as another option? I loved their signature Cacio e Pepe.

Marta is also good for their potato pizza. Their baby Martina is a takeout place I believe.

Pasquale Jones has a really delicious clam pizza drizzled with lemon.

Santina is coastal Italian with seafood and is a very nice setting.

The ultimate Italian seafood for me is Marea. Love it. Their Prix fixe dinner is great value for 4 courses. A la carte is an option too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Since you're going for an Italian food extravaganza, perhaps you should think about making sure that you hit all parts of Italy, northern risotto, a southern Gnocchi Sorrentino, Coastal food like Santina, Tuscan food like Coco Pazzo etc etc.

And add Dell' Anima to your list. One of my favorites.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

So far my favorite Italian restaurant is Nocello, off Times Square, a small restaurant, very good food, great service and amazing dimmed atmosphere. A real Italian restaurant run by Italians who talk to each other in Italian.

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
5. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Amazing. Maialino, Santina and Dell Anima all look increbile. This is coming to be an extremely hard decision to make! Lol

Need 6 weeks minimum to even feel like we’ve scratched the surface!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,985 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

And even if you’re eating Italian every night it will be a different taste and experience every time.

Coco Pazzo interests me too.

Leonelli Taberna is another one.

Then there are the small snack places like Trapizzino.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Aynat, I thought of you this weekend: I was at Santina Saturday night (after going to the Cloisters) and Coco Pazzo Sunday night (after meeting a friend for a catch up for coffee and a walk on the High Line to inspect the latest art installations.). CP is consistently delicious, with a high level of service - the chef comes out to present the entrees himself, I love that And Santina was good too - especially the Cecina, that's really my favorite. Of course, the musical accompaniment provided by a bunch of bare chested ladies on top of a painted bus reminiscent of The Partridge Family just added to the overall frivolity...but I don't think I can ever eat there without thinking of your love for it!

Level Contributor
844 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Gennaro, an unpretentious upper West Side restaurant with excellent food. Prices are very reasonable, but they do not take credit cards. Il Corso on West 55th, excellent food, nice ambiance,.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,985 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Oh thank you Risa.

You’re lucky to be able to just go to these places on a whim!

I myself sometimes think of these places and start to get hungry 😋 that’s the best I can do.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.

Things can change between now and next year, but I get the enthusiasm

LIL FRANKIE’S and EMILIO’S BALLATO are really not serious contenders when it comes to Italian in NY. Your other options and places mentioned here are much better. But if you want traditional red sauce NY Italian Ballato or Carbone would be fine

Rubirosa is all about pizza. I wouldnt order anything else there. Marta is better

Misi is not open yet I dont believe. Lilia is great, but hard to reserve

Ive never been to Charlie Bird, but I like their sister Pasquale Jones. Thats an example of a pizza place that does everything else well. My favorite clam pie BTW is at Brunetti in West Village

Yes to Via Carotta

Del Posto is Michelin high end dining, not comparable to the rest on the list

Maialino is a solid option. If you go try the pasta with crab and chicken. I think these are the best dishes there now.

I also like Fiaschetteria Pistoia and Popina in Brooklyn these days

Reply to: 7 nights of Italian food! Help required.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted