We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

usa
6 posts
Save Topic
Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

Hi, I am thinking about visiting NYC from 05/24 to 5/26. Do you have any tips re: how not to spend more than $100 per night on hotel? (besides sleeping on the street, of course...) I don't need luxury, but was wondering whether I will be able to get something decent at all...

Appreciate your advice. :)

Mentioned in this post
singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

Hi, I'm glad you beat me to asking this question, except that I'll likely go in earlier part of May.

Saw an offer at the Habitat Hotel. The pictures look good, of course! A basic room is something like US$85. But I'm quite torn. The reviews on this site are generally positive. But most reviews on the travel Yahoo site say that it's a bad mistake.

www.nyinns.com offers US$99/day at the Murray Hill Inn. But again, haven't seen reviews about that one...

I suppose there's always the Y - West Side or Vanderbilt. A single room with shared bath is available at US$75...

Any further advice/thoughts?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Murray Hill Diner
Murray Hill Diner
526 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Side Steakhouse
West Side Steakhouse
827 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lohmar, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

I can also recommend the Red Roof --->

http://www.applecorehotels.com/

Maybe a bit more expensive (139 USD) but clean, close to Subway etc. (see reviews here, all really good)

Or the Deauville --->

http://www.hoteldeauville.com/

I have never been there, but I maybe will book it next time. The reviews here are also not the badest! And it is really cheap!

If you are going there let me know!

Best regards,

Simone

Germany

Mentioned in this post
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Deauville
Hotel Deauville
667 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

If you're thinking of places like Habitat and Murray Hill Inn, I'd suggest you look for reviews on hostelz.com which is a website for hostels. That's really what they are. I think I'd rather get a private room at one of the YMCA's. They don't get bad reviews here, one called the Vanderbilt and the other called Westside.

Also check Second Home on Second if you don't care about location.

Mentioned in this post
Murray Hill Diner
Murray Hill Diner
526 Reviews
New York City, NY
England
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

We stayed at the Grand Union hotel on East 32nd between 5th Av and Park Av 2 mins from ESB and a subway station at the other end of our street. This hotel is classed as a budget hotel, it was clean, tidy, very reasonably priced 55 pounds (this was during Easter holiday) and a comfortable bed.

Mentioned in this post
Union Hotel
Union Hotel
412 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Affordable hotel in NYC mid-week, end of may

Thanks for the tips!

topolina74, will let you know if I do stay at Deauville.

nywhiz, I think I've seen the Second Home on Second website. Interesting rooms. It seems like there are lots of such establishments ie conversion of houses into guest homes with a different themed room. It's in the East Village, near the Greenwich Village area, Soho, Little Italy? The location doesn't sound too bad. I'd like to visit even if I'm not staying in the area. It's relatively safe? (everyone will want to feel safe wherever they are).

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Deauville
Hotel Deauville
667 Reviews
New York City, NY
East Village
East Village
100 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village