We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

We leave NYC to head to Boston by car (picking up at La Guardia) late on 30 April and wondered if anyone could recommend a good motel near the I -95 not too far from NYC.

Thanks

Brycem

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

Well the short answer to your question is look for places in New Rochelle or Rye, NY. New Rochelle is the first decent area I know of north of the city. There's a Residence Inn listed on tripadvisor. I don' t know what the immediate area around there is like. Rye, which is a bit further has several places. There's the Ryetown Hilton most well known. I'm assuming you're picking up at LGA b/c it's much cheaper than from the city? I 95 is notoriously awful for traffic. Did you decide to forget the ferry idea? Since you're picking up at LGA, you could drive to Port Jefferson on Long Island, stay the night in Port Jeff (a number of places) and take the ferry in the morning to Bridgeport. Would be very pretty ride. Just a thought.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

If you went up as far as Connecticut there are a whole bunch of hotels between Stamford and Norwalk. Right off the highway and all within about 45 minutes of NYC.

White Plains
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

There is a Residence Inn and a Marriott Marquis in White Plains.

(The Marriott is a little closer to I-287).

edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

NYWhizz we were toying with ferry idea either from Port Jefferson ot Orient Point. I visited Long Island (Stoneybrook) as an eight year old in 1980 (my mother's cousin lived there) and wouldn't mind going back for a look. I take it that road in the northern coast of Long Island is a scenic drive?

We are aiming to stay in Mystic on the Monday night.

Thanks

Brycem

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

I'm afraid none of the roads heading east are scenic. They're all pretty unattractive highway whether you go via Long Island or Ct. But the ferry ride is pleasant and while it doesn't save you any time, it does save some driving. If you don't want or have to be in Mystic til Mon (why Mystic?) you certainly have the time to do some exploring. The Port Jeff. ferry is simple and there are some motels and inns in Port Jeff (unlike a lot of other areas of Long Island which are pretty suburban). Port Jeff is only about 15 minutes drive from Stony Brook.

If you wanted to take the Orient Point ferry, you'd have 2 ways of doing it, drive the North Fork of Long Island where there are lots of vineyards, or drive the South Fork, see the Hamptons and take 2 short ferries before getting the longer one to Connecticut.

Do you know about mapquest.com? You don't need to put in any addresses. Just choose "directions" and put in the name of the town and the state as the start and then the same for the destination. You'll get not only directions, but mileage and approximate time to drive along with a MAP. (They don't tend to tell you about ferries though)

edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

NYWhizz,

Mystic because ferry arrives in New London and it doesn't get a great write up so we thought we would spend a night in or around Mystic before heading on to Newport, then the Cape and then Boston by May 6.

I am thinking that after a full day of sight seeing in NYC I may just bok a Hojo in Queens (4 miles from La Guardia) and decide whetehr to go for ferry or drive I- 95 the folowing day.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully considered.

Thanks again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

If you're talking about the HOJO Express in Jamaica, I'd sleep in the car before I'd stay there. I was pleasantly surprised to see the good reviews here for the Ramada Plaza at LGA. That's an option. Just remember if you stay near LGA, there are really no restaurants etc. near there so eat before you leave the city or I hear the restaurant at LGA is actually good now.

Another option is to head a bit east on Long Island. Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay is former Pres. Teddy Roosevelt's home. It's a great place to see. It's less than an hour's drive from LGA. Would put you fairly near Stony Brook & Port Jeff. I think there are some motels not too far.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

I was talking about one in Queens which they claim is newly constructed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motels near 1-95 north of NYC

I don't know about a new HoJo but read reviews carefully. If you're talking about his one on Queens Blvd., it's not all that close to the airport and if you read the reviews, while it's got "free" parking, it's only a few spots which are usually taken.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g48914-d2499…