We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Pass, best time to buy?

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New York Pass, best time to buy?

I am thinking of getting the 5 day New York pass. I am arriving in New York November 21. Is there a specific time that there is deals on the passes?

Thanks,

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
3 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,828 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Pass, best time to buy?

I don't think so. The pass itself is supposed to save you money. But before you purchase, you might want to list the sights you wish to see, write down what the prices are, and then check to see if any of them have "pay what you wish" or free hours. None of the passes tells you that the sights they offer have these hours.

So, for example:

Am. Museum of Natural History - Pay what you wish, any time

Museum of Modern Art - Free on Friday evenings from 4-8 p.m.

9/11 Museum - Free on Tuesdays for ticketholders who have gone to the website to obtain tickets on the Monday just previous to the Tuesday planned

Museum of the American Indian - always free

Jewish Museum - Free on Saturdays

One pass that I've used before in Boston, and saved 20% was the smart destinations pass. Here's a link to the equivalent in NYC:

https:/…

This pass permits you to choose what sights you wish to see, instead of giving you a list of things to choose from. The bad part about that list is that you might feel compelled to visit places you never thought of or weren't particularly attracted to, just to make the pass pay.

Another thing about the passes is that sometimes they provide only a voucher, and you still must get a timed ticket at the venue.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Pass, best time to buy?

^

+1

Please don't feel that you need a pass before you fully understand what you plan to see/do.

Edited: 10:33 am, August 16, 2018
M M
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Pass, best time to buy?

I would personally visit NY without the pass. While New York is an expensive place to visit and live, there are always sites that are low cost or even free. Do some research on places you’d really like to visit, how close or far they are from your hotel, transportation costs etc to compare costs. I’ve googled coupons for ex The wax museum to save on cash at times. I usually create a little notebook with places I want to go when I travel with websites, prices, addresses and phone numbers. As mentioned above, sometimes there are free days or pay as you wish: an ex. the Bronx zoo is free on Wednesday. The cold weather may also influence how many sites you see with the pass and if you really want to wait on the long lines, If you find it’s cheaper go for it, but research on google any special free events that week etc just to be sure. You will definitely enjoy NY with or without the pass.

Reply to: New York Pass, best time to buy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted