We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC with a teenager

Lima, Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
NYC with a teenager

Taking my son to NYC for his 15th B-Day. Looking at hotel options for 6 nights 10/9 - 10/15. What is the opinion on staying in near Soho versus Midtown or closer to Times Square (which I personally don't like but my son could)? I am looking at Hyatt Place near Bryant Park, Fairfield Inn & Suites in Chelsea, Moxy Times Square (which could be fun but the rooms are tiny and has bad reviews because of the noise) Sago Hotel in Lower East Manhattan and finally Sheraton Tribeca near Soho. Any suggestions????? Thanks!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
550 Reviews
from $34.00*
6 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,634 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC with a teenager

We love the Sheraton TriBeCa due to it's smaller size and great location right near the A/C/E subway and not far from other lines located a bit to the east. It's relatively quiet at nice and the staff is more helpful than at most of the other properties we've stayed at.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC with a teenager

I took a 15 year old to NY last year and we stayed at the Solita Soho. Each kid is different but mine eschewed Times Square and Midtown and loved Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC with a teenager

When I went with my 20 year, I had a choice between a hotel near Central Park and one near (not in) Times Square and my son picked the one near Times Square. After you pick the hotel, you can start preparing the itinerary for the attractions you and your son want to see.

If this is your first trip, Midtown may be a better fit. I think Hyatt Place would be a good selection, the reviews are good and so is the location. It is close enough to Times Square and many attractions without being in Times Square.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC with a teenager

You might ask the teen to make this choice. But I wouldn't stay at the Moxy, for the reasons you posted.

Lima, Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC with a teenager

Hi! Thank you so much for your answers! Its my 3rd time and his 2nd time in NYC. We went for 6 days when he was 12 and he's been longing to go back ever since. Every time I've stayed in Midtown because the location is so convenient but I love Soho's vibe. I like Bryant Park a lot and Madison Sq. Park too so that's maybe why I can't decide. My kid loves fashion, he makes music and is definitely not the museum type. He's more a "relaxed walking the city" kind of guy. We looked at it together and agreed that Moxy or Sago were not an option. Now we are between Hyatt Place, Fairfield Inn Chelsea and Sheraton Tribeca. Unless I get a really good deal at the Tryp that looks really good.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC with a teenager

I think near soho would be the best bet, he’s gonna enjoy the villages of south manhattan (west village, soho, nolita and the lower east side) way more than any other stuffy areas.

Or you can shoot for Williamsburg,Brooklyn but honestly Williamsburg will feel smaller fast and it’s easier to just take a cab or the L from manhattan to Williamsburg for a few hours to hang out.

Reply to: NYC with a teenager
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted