We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Just home from NY went there for a week from April 1st to April 8th, was the best holiday I ever had!! Want to go back already!

Friday 1st flight from Dublin delayed an hour, not too bad, flight was a bit long though nearly reaching 7 hours.

Arrived at JFK rang Carmel cars and they said a car was on the way, I think they were being too kind when they said "car" what can only be descibed as rust on wheels came crawling up the road, myself and girlfriend Brenda hoping it wasnt for us...but of course it was!!!! chap driving couldnt really speak englich or maybe was just shy not sure, but we didnt let this disappoint us, at least we got to the hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Metro on W34th St, and we couldnt have picked a better hotel, it was clean and we were so close to everything, opening your window every morning and seeing the ESB is fantastic!! The only bad thing I would say about the hotel is the noise, at night we could hear everything, cars people, Garbage trucks were the worst, not sure if the floors above 7th are any better, but we soon found that the Duane Reedes store around the corner stocked ear buds, sleeping masks and herbal sleeping tablets so they helped!

Friday night went up the ESB, bad idea, we had already got the tickets online but the queues were over an hour and we had been awake 20 hrs now at this stage, but it was great when we finnally got out onto the observation deck.

Saturday was a bit rainy but managed to walk around constantly looking up at the size of the buildings.We were booked to do a helicopter ride on sunday afternoon but I had been checking out the weather and is was giving rain so I rang them up and asked them could we change to Tuesday which was supposed to be sunny, they said that was fine. Keens was just around the corner so managed to get a table for later on that night....oh my god, the food, especially the steak was one of the best I've ever had, what a great way to celebrate your birthday.

Sunday was rainy, but we got up early and bought tickets for the Grayline all loops bus tour, which we thought was really good and gave us a good perspective of where everything was in the city, although we got a bit of a soaking sitting on the open top bus even though we got our free white bin liner poncho's.

Sunday night we were booked into the River cafe, but we were a bit late getting back to the hotel so we rang them and asked could we be moved back 30 mins which was no problem, so got my suit on and grabbed a taxi, it was everything we expected and more, the food was great and the views were stunning and the service was excellent they even had some chocolate saying happy birthday on my dessert.

Monday we went to Central park then the Natural history museum which was great, especially the planitarium! we could have spent all day there, then back to times square for shopping and to Virgils BBQ, which was a great place to have a beer and some really nice food.

Tuesday morning the sun was splitting the stones, so we walked down to the heliport, we ended up getting on 30 mins early, this for me was one of the highlights, 15 mins seemed to go by just too quickly, but I loved it and would highly recommend it, we then walked up to the USS Intrepid which was good for something completely different. We then decided to walk down to get the ferry for the Statue of liberty tour, but after 15 mins walking decided that we underestimated the distance and got a taxi the rest of the way...just as well we did.

Decided just to visit Ellis Island and not bother with Statue of Liberty, Ellis island was good but didnt take too long to get through it. Then back and walked around Wall Street looking for a bar called the Irish Punt which a girl we knew worked in, after about an hour of not finding it we were just about to give up when we stumbled upon it, nice place.

Wednesday we went up to TKTS in Time square to get some tickets for a show, I went around to the schubert theatre to chance my arm on getting tickets for spamalot, but had no luck all they had was standing room only which I think would have been unfair to my poor feet who were already starting to give up on me. So we managed to get 2 tickets for the Producers for $100 which was good. Then over to the earthcam at TGI fridays to wave like an idiot at my family back home.

Grabbed a bite to eat, a shower and off to broadway, got there early enough and was delighted with the seats until I spotted to 6ft 300 pound guys looking for there seats and low and behold it had to be the 2 seats right in front of me, had to keep moving to see past their freakishly big heads but generally ahd a good view of the stage.The play itself was very good, Richard Kind was his usual funny self, Alan Ruck had the night off but his understudy was very good.

Then onto Carmines, now Ive hear people on here say, "dont go if there is only 2 of you, but I thought "how big could the portions be?" well when the waitress arrived with what can only be described as a trough full of food we couldnt believe it, 8 or 9 chickens and a bag of potatoes in a sauce, we got to halfway and gave up, very nice though.

Thursday was spent up the ESB again and doing some present shopping.

Friday I went off to get my Sony PSP, which I had ordered the first day we got there, and just about got it, then back to Speedys for some lovely food. Went back to the hotel to wait for Carmels cars to pick us up, this time we had a nice car. Flight home was grand only 5 hours.

We are already thinking about going back again before the year is up, it really was the trip of a lifetime...apart from maybe spending 2 hours looking at the same bra in Victoria Secret but I wont go into that!!!!!

Ayrshire, Scotland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Great report. Planning on going to Carmines...hopefully on Thanksgiving. Are the portions that big!!! I was warned that portions are big in the US as a general rule but Carmines was exceptional.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
340 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Great trip report Rob. I feel the same about NY. Dying to go back! Victoria's Secret is great isn't it?? :-)

Uncletupelo - the portions in Carmines are ginormous. My friend and I shared a salad and a pasta dish. Both dishes came on plates that were at least 12 inches by 9 and were piled very high!! I love my grub and eat a lot but they would have fed 4 comfortably!!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

The portions are large, but we were disappointed with the food. Maybe we just chose badly, the Salmon special of the day was nice, lasagne and italian sausage pasta (we had kids with us) both were lukewarm and didn't taste of much, very bland, even my daughter said "you make better lasagne than this Dad".

Level Contributor
1,621 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

I loved your review, and especially your writing style! I was laughing out loud. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the visit....a good sense of humor can make everything go smoother!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Great report! Admire your determination in trying to get Spamalot tickets! (I think I would've taken the standing room ones though!)

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Rob, great trip report sounds like you covered a lot.

How is the PSP. How much did you pay and did you buy a game for it. How are your PS2 games onit. My son is really keen to get it. Thanks for any info

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Thanks porchparty, glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah the portions in Carmines really were big, but I could see how 3 or 4 people went it would share itself out.

Also forgot to Mention we did the Madison Square Garden tour, which was a good way of passing an hour.

Yeah I thought Victoria Secret was gonna be great...a young man in a lingerie store!! why wouldnt it be, but someone, Im not naming any names!! couldnt make up their mind after 2 hours.

Yeah waterford the PSP is great, the first day we were there I went to Toys R us and they said it would be 2 weeks again they had them in again, so went over to Gamestop just around the corner and they said they had some coming in on Friday at 12 noon, 2 hours before we were due to leavem so I was pretty lucky to get one. Paid $275 for it, no games comes with it, so I bought 3 for around $45 dollars each, they dont actually play PS2 games they come on small discs but the quality is similar to PS2.

Yeah Ange I know I was really disappointed with myself that I didnt get the Spamalot tickets even if it was standing, even if I would have ended up having cartoon feet, constantly throbbing!!!

Another thing I forgot to say was I got a "portrait" done by one of the cowboys up near Central park, now I dont know who the guy was looking at when he was drawing me, but it looks like Im half way through having a stroke, but what do you expect for $15

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Enjoyed your report Rob. I always get a kick out of learning new idiomatic expressions. The sun "splitting the stones" was a new one to me :) Glad the trip was all you hoped it would be. Is the 2 hr bra pretty??

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Rob, LOVED your report - you are hilarious!

My Irish friends also describe the sun as 'splitting the stones' ... and now, so do I :-)

(... although today, where I live, it was the hail splitting the stones ... hmmmm)

I was also in NYC on Saturday 2nd April. You said that day was 'a bit rainy' .....? Geez, I'd call that rain biblical in its proportions. It was wild!

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report...a bit long!!!!be warned

Rob, you got away lucky looking at the bra for two hours. The last time I tried that I was arrested. Of course, it could have had something to do with the fact that there was a young woman in it at the time...

standing by her window...

with the shades up...

and me with my telescope.