We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

Hi everyone,

May I ask if the area around LIC hotel is safe? It appears to be an industrial area, which is fine, but can I please ask if you think it would be safe to walk from the subway to the hotel at night?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
388 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

Yes, it,s safe.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

Yes, I have a friend who lives on the next block. It is safe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
809 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

I know that area well (I live in Queens) and even though it is very empty at night I would say it’s safe. I wouldn’t walk from Queensboro Plaza subways at night (meaning after 11pm) to the LIC Hotel only because that area is dead at night with mostly warehouses. Walking from the Court Square subway stop to the LIC hotel is a much better choice. The blocks around that area have homes and small shops so it’s a better choice when walking at wee hours. If out walking after midnight in that area IMO I would stick to a walking route that’s well lit and close to the houses and shops and avoid Murray Park. There’s nothing wrong with the park it’s just that it’s isolated and empty at night so IF anything ever happened there, nobody would notice. At night in quiet areas of the city I like to walk where people will see and hear me just in case something happens.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,590 Reviews
New York City, NY
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
388 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your help - it's very much appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

I agree with avoiding dead areas and park. I don't think anywhere is really safe if you are isolated on a street. If you can walk in a well lit area near houses and businesses then that should be sufficient. The area itself isn't bad its just using common sense and making sure you are not walking down some isolated street. After midnight consider a cab unless where you are staying is close to subway station or in an area with people hanging out outside.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

The block or so west of the elevated #7 Court Square station is a remnant of the Long Island City residential area before it became factories and warehouses. There are some interesting "brownstones" in various materials. The Court Square Diner below the station has good American diner food. You will note that many of the factories have been torn down for tall glass rental apartments.

Edited: 10:42 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Court Square Diner
Court Square Diner
437 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?

Yes

Reply to: Is the area around LIC hotel safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted