We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite broadway shows

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite broadway shows

I am looking to spend my birthday weekend in New York City with my wife and am looking for suggestions for a nice broadway show we can watch. Looking to watch something funny and romantic.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
9 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite broadway shows

It is so hard to recommend a show for someone else. What I do suggest is you go to

show-score.com

filter for Broadway and read the user reviews. They are really short and to the point. They also have a "go to if" and "don't go to if " section So, regardless of how great others consider the show--if the don't go to if section is YOU, than you have an idea what to avoid.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite broadway shows

+ Show Score

that said, My Fair Lady would certainly fit the bill

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite broadway shows

Hello Dolly or Waitress, depending on ticket availability. Dolly has Bernadette Peters who I love but is closing soon. It started with Bette Midler who was also good as Dolly Levi.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,340 posts
629 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite broadway shows

When are you going? What's playing now might not be playing then!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,056 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite broadway shows

Especially with the Tony Awards being presented tonight (you don't say where you're from. If the US, the Awards are televised on CBS & I'm fairly certain you can stream them.) Also, the new season starts in September.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite broadway shows

Thanks for the ideas. We are looking to go in the first weekend of July. We are primarily looking a rom-com or a light comedy.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,056 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite broadway shows

I keep thinking about your post & I have a suggestion that's perhaps a bit outside of the box. The show Once On This Island scored an upset win over My Fair Lady & Carousel & might suit. It sort of doesn't follow your guidelines but is romantic in that it's a boy meets girl story. The only caution is that the ending is somewhat bittersweet.

Here is their page from Show-Score & you can read for yourself what others have said about the show.

https:/…once-on-this-island

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite broadway shows

<< rom-com or a light comedy.>>

There's an off Broadway show that will appeal to you a lot, Desperate Measures, now playing at the New World Stages. It was a hit last year when it ran at the York Theater (where I saw it) and just moved over to the larger New World Stages. Funny, tuneful, great singing. Half the price of Broadway

http://desperatemeasuresmusical.com/

Read what people think about it here https:/…show-detail-member-reviews

Mentioned in this post
New World Stages
New World Stages
257 Reviews
New York City, NY
York
York
Pennsylvania
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite broadway shows

I'll second Desperate Measures, so clever and delightful! Broadwaybox.com definitely has a discount code which is another plus.

Edited: 4:19 pm, June 11, 2018
Reply to: Favorite broadway shows
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted