We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to Niagara falls

Auckland, New...
1 post
Save Topic
train to Niagara falls

Do we need to buy in advance tickets for Niagara falls from NY or can we just buy tickets on the day of our travel there?

8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to Niagara falls

It,s a long long looong trip. It's cheaper if you buy at least 2-3 weeks in advance but I strongly urge you to fly to Buffalo, NY.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to Niagara falls

Just googled it. Over 9 hours by train, flying 3.5.

I know which way I would do it.

If this is part of a road trip adventure may be interesting to see the different countryside as you would pass through. But if it's just an add-on day to your New York Trip, fly

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to Niagara falls

Flying is ONE hour. Train is 9 hrs. IF you,re lucky. They regularly run late and you have to sit on the train while everyone's passport is checked.🙄

New York City
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to Niagara falls

I took the train once, While its long, its very scenic as it runs along the Hudson River from NYC to Albany

If you want the trip to be half the fun, Its worth it

Mentioned in this post
Hudson River Hotel
Hudson River Hotel
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
Albany
Albany
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,530 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to Niagara falls

As suggested, just fly from NYC to Buffalo. 1 hour and you optimize your time at Niagara Falls.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to Niagara falls

Taking a train towards Chicago will encounter this problem mentioned recently in the NYT:

The temporary suspension of the [NYC-Chicago] route is the result of repair work by Amtrak to a bridge and a tunnel that are part of the rail connection between Pennsylvania Station and upstate New York. From the end of May until Sept. 3, the Lake Shore Limited, the most famous of the New York-to-Chicago trains, will run only between Boston and Chicago. A second link, the Cardinal, which travels between New York and Chicago along a southern route, is also temporarily suspended because of the same repairs. It will only run from Washington to Chicago.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Pennsylvania Station
Pennsylvania Station
1,336 Reviews
New York City, NY
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
new york
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to Niagara falls

I believe that trains to Niagara Falls are leaving from Grand Central due to construction at/near Penn Station. You should buy in advance in you decide to take the train.

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,294 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,301 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: train to Niagara falls

Budget fares must be bought far in advance - the sooner the better. Agree that flying up and back in one days (I think there is a 6 am Jet Blue out of JFK) will make a lot more sense unless you have several days to spend on this portion of the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: train to Niagara falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted