We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

Vitoria, ES
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

Hi,

I've noticed the following question is asked under the ESTA:

"Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?"

Last year I had my visa denied after the interview process to obtain it. I believe I hadn't brought enough documents to prove my ties to my home country, Brazil. At that time, I had used my Brazilian passport.

A few months ago I finally got both my Italian citizenship and my Italian passport, so now I'm eligible to submit an ESTA.

My question is: should I answer "yes" or "no" to the question above since I didn't have an Italian passport at the time? Does having this new Italian passport change anything?

Thanks!

Edited: 11:30 pm, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
22 replies to this topic
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

If you are caught lying, you definitely don't get what you want. And it DOES say "Current or previous passport".

In our country, officials will understand an reasonable explanation, but hate when someone lies to an officer and often consider it a criminal act. Explaining the truth is better than explaining away a lie.

Ningunas mentiras.

Vitoria, ES
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

I had a slight feeling, and apparently erroneous, that it could refer to current or previous passports issued by my country of birth.

But it doesn't really seem to imply that. Still, I wanted to ask. Better safe than sorry! =)

Thanks, bud! If anyone else has other inputs, feel free to reply!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,958 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

Worth reading

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

Answer truthfully.

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
609 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

If you are unsure perhaps talk to your nearest USA embassy. Most embassies are happy to help and it is better to get it sorted before you go than to have answered it incorrectly and get turned away at the border

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,987 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

You can't get turned away at the border if you cannot board the aircraft to travel to the US.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

Sorry. You put self on the list of undesirables. And why are you writing to TA -

Vitoria, ES
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

Thanks for all the answers, folks! I'll try to get in touch with some experts and with a USA embassy to try to get my questions answered. I hope I'm able to find the best option on how to do this.

And, Panch04, I'm sorry, but if you have no clue what you're talking about, it's best to refrain from even commenting about it, man.

Edited: 2:34 pm, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,411 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

If you have been declined in the past you must admit that - since it will be in the computer records and if you lie that will be much worse that admitting the problem and explaining the reason for it. You need to deal with the embassy directly on this - since if you apply for an ESTA and are turned down that will another negative on your record to be explained away.

Vitoria, ES
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?

That makes sense, nytraveler2016! I just thought this question could same some other reading, but apparently it doesn't.

So you think I better get in touch with the USA embassy prior to submitting this ESTA? I was told they couldn't change anything in regards to my record, or to the decision given by the ESTA or any other forms. So maybe they could give me some advice on what to do?

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Reply to: ESTA: I've had a visa denied prior to being eligible. Help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted