We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair tips and issues

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair tips and issues

My mom cannot walk for longer period and we use a transporter wheel chair to take her to places. We will be in midtown NYC in the end of June and I am wondering how do I take her to various places etc. Because of her walking issues, I am counting out Metro. I willing to Uber, Taxi etc.

Places that she would like to visit,

- Ellis island, statue of liberty

- Freedom tower

- Times square, Central park.

- Get on to sightseeing bus, for us it is Hop on ONCE and then HOP out at finish line.

I would appreciate any tips, experiences. I want to do this but would like to have all the info.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
4,422 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,471 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,757 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
115,323 Reviews
New York City, NY
7 replies to this topic
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,010 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

The subway system is far less wheelchair friendly than the bus system. Only a few stations have elevators and they are not always in working order. If you intend to use the subway check this out beforehand:

http://web.mta.info/mta/eles.html

It takes much longer to get around by bus than subway, however. Taxi may be a more expensive mode to consider.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

All NYC buses are accessible and have chair lifts, Id stay away from the Subway because most stations do not have elevators

Mentioned in this post
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

This might be helpful: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

The Ellis Island museum is well suited for a wheelchsir visit. The ferry folks are helpful. The museum has lots of open space and elevators. I would need xpect similar for the SOL pedestal museum, but I have never been there.

My spouse has mobility issues and occasionally uses a wheelchair. Even though we have never taken a wheelchair to Ellis Island, I notice things like this.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,471 Reviews
New York City, NY
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
23,302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

NYC buses have a ramp that folds down from the front door for wheelchairs to roll/be pushed up. I've never seen a chair lift. There is space in the front for a wheelchair to be secured . With taxis and Uber-are you planning to use a wheelchair that folds up and have your mother climb into the cab??Otherwise, you need to call in advance and make sure they have a handicapped accessible car You can go anywhere with a little planning, Broadway theatres have seats that are accessible, etc. Check at restaurants before you go. I was using a walker last year and lots of places had an accessible dining room but the restroosm s were not.

Edited: 12:38 pm, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

The older style buses had a chair lift at the back door.

I haven't seen one in many years and am pretty sure that all the city buses currently in service have the ramp at the front door by the driver.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair tips and issues

Imo Hop on/off buses are totally inappropriate. The best views are upstairs and there,s little to no views downstairs. A smaller tour bus like

Highqualitytours.com

Onboardtours.com

is a better idea.

Bigapplegreeter.org

Has a mobility program that might be helpful.

https:/…

Reply to: Wheelchair tips and issues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;