We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,429 posts
25 reviews
City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

We always warn people against short term vacation apartment rentals in NYC (they are nearly all illegal) but people are still frequently tempted to book such apartments, and the ones in Hell's Kitchen are popular temptations.

According to this and other articles, the city has filed suit against one of the worst Hell's Kitchen landlords engaging in this illegal venture. If you have booked a Hell's Kitchen or "Times Square" vacation apartment rental on W 47th St, here is another warning:

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/6/7/17437862/airb…

The article contains links to several other recent crack-downs. Just don't do it. Don't book an illegal apartment rental. It's a bad idea for so many reasons.

This article has photos of the wretched illegal rentals on W 47th. gothamist.com/2018/06/08/illegal_hotel_nyc_r…

57 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,536 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

Yowza! Even if all visitors want a room for is to sleep in, that place is DIRE!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

I marvel at people who invest thousands in international vacations and then roll the dice on accommodations.

I’d use AirBnB in a location where it was legal becuse there, you’re dealing with a legal business operation. The fact that it’s illlegal in NYC means that the people doing the renting don’t respect laws and are not good candidates fror other types of compiance such as fire safety, rodents and pests, door locks and general safety/.

So you could get the apartment allright but discover it’s a rat trap or has no smoke detectors. Or the neigbors hate you because the last bunch of tourists was obnoxious and kept them up late with their noise.

Or... it could be a scam and not even there

Or ... it could get shut down in the middle of your stay.

Again, not sure how anybody, especially anybody traveling with kids, would roll the dice like that. Yes, NYC is expensive but that’s kind of what it is.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

After speaking to people, I better understand AirBNB. It seems many seem to think they are "giving it to the hotel chains" by staying at an Airbnb. They dont seem to understand that staying like a local, hurts the locals rather than helps them. AirBNB is cheaper (Part of it is because they dont pay taxes , which also hurts the locals)

And because its cheaper , most dont seem to care, they would rather pay cheaper, and who cares about the locals because its their vacation

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
4. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

I think you’re exactly right, howardform. Airbnb exists because people only think of themselves.

Edited: 7:52 pm, June 08, 2018
New York City
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

I certainly see a place for AirBNB. There are many places with excess or seasonal housing that can benefit , or places with limited hotels.

Brooklyn is a place with a shortage of hotels and many people want to stay there especially in hipper neighborhoods like Bed Stuy or Williamsburg that have almost no hotels. Given a choice between Brooklyn and Long Island City, most travellers would rather stay in Brooklyn. I dont think travellers realize there is a shortage of housing in Brooklyn and AirBNB making it worse

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

***And because its cheaper , most dont seem to care, they would rather pay cheaper, and who cares about the locals because its their vacation***

Spot on Howard. Simple case of supply and demand. If people weren't only concerned about themselves, the demand would shrink.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,618 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

Warning ... SARCASM AHEAD: You are a bunch of shills for the hotel industry. These stories cannot possibly affect me because I always use airbnb on vacation!!!

Hopefully more stories like this will make people think! I have no dympathy for people who rent anyway.

Edited: 9:28 pm, June 08, 2018
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,094 posts
8. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

Every poster considering Air BnBs should have to read the links posted above. And remember that you are dealing with criminals.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

Does anyone know what the rooms/apartments shown in the linked articles were renting for?

London, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals

Oh my those pictures are my idea of a nightmare! Give me a clean & safe hotel room anyday. Can those articles be pinned to the main page to warn other travelers?

Reply to: City action against illegal Hell's Kitchen vacation rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted