We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Hello

I've read the FAQ section and I apologize as it is a VERY frequently asked question, but I haven't made up my mind :I am landing with 3 other people in JFK on the 4th of july at 4.30 pm and staying in a hotel on Lexington/51st. Considering car traffic at this time, what would be the fastest transfer way? taking a cab for 4 or taking the Subway E line ?

Any advice from a local or frequent traveller ?

Thanks for the help

6 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
25,258 posts
20 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

I think its a toss up . Some traffic may be detoured due to the fireworks on the East Side so that will slow down a cab. Even though its a flat rate to Manhattan, I don't like sitting in a cab when I could be out living my life.But the Airtrain to Jamaica and the E train are going to run on a holiday schedule. If it was me, I'd take the Airtrain/E and get off at Lexington Avenue but if you think you will be very tired or have a lot of luggage, grab a cab. Only get a cab from the official dispatcher, do not talk to any of the touts who hang around the yellow cab line

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,738 posts
2. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Agree with #1 above.

You don't really have to decide in advance, you can wait and see how you feel once you get out of the terminal.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

All the stations have elevators that you need: Your terminal, "Jamaica" on the Airtrain and E train, and "Lexington Avenue/53rd St." And it's 1/10 mile from 53rd to 51st. So it's not a bad trip; it takes about 50 minutes and costs $8.75 per person (Physical MetroCard = $1, Airtrain = $5, Subway = $2.75)

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,738 posts
4. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

IF you end up using the Airtrain/subway (and use it to return to JFK), the 4 of you can save some money on the Airtrain portion of the trip by getting the $25/ten trip Airtrain card (the card can be shared by up to 4 people.)

Which type of Metrocards to get for the subway portion of your fares depends on the length of your visit and anticipated number of rides.

Fare info: http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

Edited: 4:27 pm, June 07, 2018
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Thank you all for the advice. I'll decide when we get there

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,970 posts
31 reviews
39 helpful votes
6. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

The ten trip AirTrain ticket is indeed a money saver, but only if you use it for your return to the airport and not just for your arrival.

Reply to: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted