We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Hello

I've read the FAQ section and I apologize as it is a VERY frequently asked question, but I haven't made up my mind :I am landing with 3 other people in JFK on the 4th of july at 4.30 pm and staying in a hotel on Lexington/51st. Considering car traffic at this time, what would be the fastest transfer way? taking a cab for 4 or taking the Subway E line ?

Any advice from a local or frequent traveller ?

Thanks for the help

Mentioned in this post
The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Lexington Hotel...
4,199 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
6 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
23,324 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

I think its a toss up . Some traffic may be detoured due to the fireworks on the East Side so that will slow down a cab. Even though its a flat rate to Manhattan, I don't like sitting in a cab when I could be out living my life.But the Airtrain to Jamaica and the E train are going to run on a holiday schedule. If it was me, I'd take the Airtrain/E and get off at Lexington Avenue but if you think you will be very tired or have a lot of luggage, grab a cab. Only get a cab from the official dispatcher, do not talk to any of the touts who hang around the yellow cab line

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
The Lexington Hotel...
4,199 Reviews
New York City, NY
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,724 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Agree with #1 above.

You don't really have to decide in advance, you can wait and see how you feel once you get out of the terminal.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

All the stations have elevators that you need: Your terminal, "Jamaica" on the Airtrain and E train, and "Lexington Avenue/53rd St." And it's 1/10 mile from 53rd to 51st. So it's not a bad trip; it takes about 50 minutes and costs $8.75 per person (Physical MetroCard = $1, Airtrain = $5, Subway = $2.75)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
The Lexington Hotel...
4,199 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,724 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

IF you end up using the Airtrain/subway (and use it to return to JFK), the 4 of you can save some money on the Airtrain portion of the trip by getting the $25/ten trip Airtrain card (the card can be shared by up to 4 people.)

Which type of Metrocards to get for the subway portion of your fares depends on the length of your visit and anticipated number of rides.

Fare info: http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

Edited: 4:27 pm, June 07, 2018
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

Thank you all for the advice. I'll decide when we get there

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,906 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice

The ten trip AirTrain ticket is indeed a money saver, but only if you use it for your return to the airport and not just for your arrival.

Reply to: JFK - Manhattan transfer advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted