We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Trip

1 post
Save Topic
October Trip

Hi guys

NYC newbie here. Will be visiting in October for my 1st anniversary with my girlfriend.

She's been before and loves it but i've never been.

Anyway reason for the question and advice. It's our anniversary on Monday 15th October and i'm looking for some recommendations for a venue for a nice romantic meal. Local cuisine would be even better. We're staying at the Ameritania hotel but obviously more than happy to travel.

I'm looking at a budget of around $200 all in, if you think that's doable?

Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Ameritania Hotel
Ameritania Hotel
5,933 Reviews
New York City, NY
2 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
12,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Trip

Jack, that budget is possible if the appetizer, entrée, dessert, coffee and drinks add up to no more than $75 per person. That can be difficult here, especially if you're going for steak or the best seafood places. Alcohol is ridiculously expensive here in restaurants. I don't know where you're from, but a glass of wine in a middle- to great restaurant can cost $12-18 and a beer $8-10, cocktails $12+. There is 8.875% tax on restaurant meals, and a normal tip for good/excellent service is 20%, so think 30% extra on top of the base price of the meal.

A well known place for anniversaries, birthdays, etc. is the River Café in Brooklyn. There's a dress code (in many fine dining venues there is -- you may wish to check before booking). But it would cost more than that. Another option might be going for lunch.

If you have any particular cuisines you and your s.o. are fond of, let us know and maybe we can help you find something that will fit the bill. We have a local poster who is a true foodie, Ziggy, who has a wonderful blog that could be of help, too. https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Trip

I would try to find lesser priced Italian restaurants. Asian food is often less costly, but the atmosphere isn't romantic. What about some place like Felice (there are 3 of them) and they have a certain charm, especially if you tell them it's a special occasion.

If you plan to share an appetizer and be careful about alcohol (a bottle is almost always more cost effective), it's also doable.

Reply to: October Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;