We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New York to Orlando in September

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from New York to Orlando in September

I am planning a road trip and driving from Newark Airport (EWA) to Oralndo in September and wondered if anyone knows how much the tolls are going to cost? I have found a list of tolls on the route totally about $28 but can you pay by card for these tolls....some of them say Express, no cash? what is the best way of paying for the tolls? I will be renting a SUV for my trip so any info/help on this would be great...thanks A.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
9 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,220 posts
627 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

You should repost on the Road Trips forum here

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

When you rent the SUV, check if you can also rent an EZ pass transponder. With this, you can use the “express” or EZ Pass lanes and the toll will be automatically charged to your account without stopping to pay.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,220 posts
627 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

True, but some rental agencies charge a ridiculous amount in "convenience" fees for using their transponder, so pricing that has to be part of the research

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

Be careful about the transponders. The EZ Pass, used in the northeastern quadrant of the US, does not work in Florida. If you're literally only driving to Orlando from New York you can avoid Florida tolls, but many places you might want to visit in Florida, including in the Orlando area, will be cashless toll facilities.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

I’m pretty certain you can buy your own ez pass at many truck stops and gas stations near by the interstate. I did years ago when I had forgotten mine in another vehicle. Pretty sure I loaded up funds (similiar to a metro card) and was on my Way. I don’t rememver the exact process, but something to look into, it can definitely be a time saver

Edit - definitely does not work in Florida though. They have they’re own system called “SunPass”

Edited: 8:58 am, June 07, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
USA
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

You have to talk to the car rental company and find out their rules and pricing for their transponder. Start there, but if you're worried about tolls, have you thought about the amount of gas you're going to use?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

You need to double check the type of toll crossings you will be using.

Some still have a combination of EZ-Pass (transponder) lanes and cash lanes (don't think any take credit cards)

Some in the NYC area have been completely switched over to cashless (which means you need a transponder OR the license plate holder is billed)

The rental agencies transponder can have fairly high fees and if you decline it you can get dinged with extra charges.

Haven't heard of any cashless tolls in NJ or parts south (yet) except for parts of Florida.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll…

I use this site on Wikipedia of toll roads in USA , listed by states. If you know your route you can look up how you can pay this way..

Usually when you enter your route in MapQuest or Google it it will tell you if it’s a toll road, And then you can look up each toll road individually and see how it is to be paid.

Edited: 6:12 pm, June 07, 2018
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Garfield, New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from New York to Orlando in September

The NJ Turnpike toll will be $10.65 cash. Delaware Memorial Bridge has a $4 fee. I believe there is another toll in Delaware on I95. In Maryland you will pay a tunnel toll of $4 along with 1 or 2 more tolls on I95.

I do not think there are tolls in DC and Virginia. There are no tolls in NC,SC and Georgia. I do not think there are tolls on I95 in Florida, possibly on I4 near Orlando

https://beta.costtodrive.com/us-tolls/

Can't help you with EZ Pass as I do not have it. It can be rented from the car agency. If you want to avoid all tolls until entering Florida, except for $1(entering Pennsylvania from N), do not drive 95. Take I78 west to I81 south to I77 south to I95 south. It is 100 miles longer than I 95 but you avoid traffic around DC and Richmond VA. I only use this route when driving towards Florida or south. Be aware on I 78 in Pennsylvania there will be many tractor trailers(lorries), avoiding the tolls on 95.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Florida
Florida