We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Hotels???

Em
Dublin, Ireland.
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Help with Hotels???

Can anyone recommend a good hotel which is close to 5th Ave, Myself and my sister are going to new york in Feb and have no idea of where to stay, we have heard that the Intercontinental the barclay, is susposed to be a great location and a good price, has anyone stayed there and if so do they know where we can get a good price? any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Hotels???

I stayed at the Sofitel Hotel during Christmas, 2004. Using a Playbill Promo the cost was only 169.00/nite. I booked directly through the hotel. I am staying there again next month because it is a wonderful hotel! Location is between 5th and 6th and on 44th St.. The street is quiet, the staff was very friendly, the twin beds room a decent size and the bathroom is dynamite. IThe bathrooms are huge, very modern and an excellent reason to be there!

A number of friends have stayed at the Sofitel and rave, as well. Enjoy!

Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Hotels???

We're sorry, we removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Hotels???

The Barclay Intercontinental is indeed a lovely hotel in a nice location. It is sometimes available on Priceline where you bid for a hotel by neighborhood and by star level. This is a risky proposition unless you really know what you're doing. If you're interested, you should try reading biddingfortravel.com. They provide advice and info on how to use Priceline. They also show the prices people have paid and what hotel they've gotten. They also have a list of all the known PL hotels by area and by star level. Since I see you're coming from Ireland, not sure whether you'd be bidding on the US site in dollars or the UK site in GBP.

If you just want to find the best price for the Barclay, I'd suggest using the "compare all prices" feature on this website.

Another thought for you is the Fitzpatrick, an Irish themed hotel with 2 locations. I'd prefer the one on Lexington ave (just the Fitzpatrick) if that interests you. The one at Grand Central also gets good reviews but it's more of a business location IMO.

Quickbook.com is another website you might check for prices.

Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Hotels???

We're sorry, we removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Em
Dublin, Ireland.
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Hotels???

Thanks for all your help, i have booked The Intercontinental The Barclay Hotel on 48th Street, and got a good deal on www.octopustravel.com, about ���160 per room per night which we thought was good considering the prices on some of the other website.