We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best location to stay

texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best location to stay

I need suggestions on the preferred location to stay...MTW, MTE, Uptown, Downtown...I am so confused!!!!! Help!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
550 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best location to stay

beachlova,

This is really a matter of opinion. Many people coming to NYC want to stay in Times Square. They seem to think of it as the center of it all. As a NY'er I wouldn't recommend it. Personally it is too crowded for me and not indicative of the NYC experience at all.

Anywhere that is near a subway line is probably a good choice.

Many people stay on the Upper West or Upper East sides. The only thing with these areas is that it is not the easiest thing to get across town when crossing the park.

Living Downtown I like the Union Square area. This is very central and had a major subway hub. There are very nice hotels on Central Park South and below as well.

A hot area now is the Meatpacking district. This has some of the hottest restaurants in the city as well as some great shopping.

What is your price range? What type of hotels do you usually like?

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best location to stay

We stopped at the Millennium Hilton which is next to ground Zero and this location was perfect. The hotel was right next to the main subway stops which were so easy to use and we were near Tribeca which had some good restaurants for an evening. Times Square was so busy and I could imagine on an evening it being very noisy, however if you want to be in the heart of things then I would stop in this area. I think which ever area you choose they are all great and it is so easy to get around on public transport.

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best location to stay

We stopped at the Millennium Hilton which is next to ground Zero and this location was perfect. The hotel was right next to the main subway stops which were so easy to use and we were near Tribeca which had some good restaurants for an evening. Times Square was so busy and I could imagine on an evening it being very noisy, however if you want to be in the heart of things then I would stop in this area. I think which ever area you choose they are all great and it is so easy to get around on public transport.

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best location to stay

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best location to stay

I'm a New Yorker and I would prefer to stay anywhere between 34th street (more or less) and Central Park South (59th Street). I would also prefer the West Side, from 5th avenue over to 8th Avenue.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best location to stay

It is actually true. Times square for me is very overated. It is also geared at tourist in the fact that it is over priced (from hotels to restaurants), tacky souvenir shops, very loud and bright at night - it is far from a real New York experience.

To gain an experience of real New York, I would recommend staying anywhere other than Times Square, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Downtown etc. Unless you want to be in the tourist area.

But, keep in mind as stated - Sightseeing is all over new york as you will soon realize. It is not Central by any means. Once you are close to a subway you are set. New York subway is quiet simple (when construction is not ongoing) It is unlike any other public transport system out there, and very safe as well.

New York has changed a lot, so getting from Point A to Point B is as easy as can be. This is why a lot of New Hotels gear away from Times Square. Because, the need to stay there has dimished.

I do a lot of consulting for hotels and although they are not in Times Sqaure they are probably the first to be booked due to the fact that people are realizing this aspect.

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best location to stay

Hi,

I have come across this site, and am very happy to see some of my questions being answered. Im coming to the U.S in December from Western Australia.I have Los Angeles, and Las Vegas sussed out, but am now not sure where to stay in New York. I have the hotel sofitel, or Novotel in mind.... But until now, didnt really realise how spread apart this city seems to be. Please feel free to tell me where to stay, for a casual 5 day visit...mainly for shopping, and statue of Libery etc sight seeing. many thanks

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best location to stay

Kats-- the city is not spread out at all if you commit to taking the subways and buses and not just walking. With a little study you can be from 72nd street to 14th street (3 miles) in about 12 minutes.

The key is to get an affordable room anywhere near a subway stop and then learn the transit system before you come. All the info is on line or you can use GWB's idiot guide to the subway found here in FAQ.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best location to stay

It would be helpful to know what kind of shopping you intend to do, but without having that info, I'm going to propose that you look for hotels in the Murray Hill, Gramercy Park/Flatron District, Union Square, SoHo and Lower East Side neighborhoods. Any of these will put you -- via walking, bus or subway -- in reasonable proximity to Bloomingdale's, the upscale shops on, e.g., Madison Ave., the more recent up-and-coming shopping to be had in SoHo, East Village & the Lower East Side, and Century 21 in lower Manhattan (a mecca for many tourists). You can easily get to Macy's from anywhere in Manhattan.

Read through this description of neighborhoods:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-…

It's just one of the many compilations of useful info to be found on the NYC forum's FAQ "sticky", always atop the forum's index page but here's the link for that:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

Quikbook is a rightly popular, hotel reservations agency, often has availability and better prices than the better known Expedia, etc. But hotels.com has been having intermittent "sales" with some excellent rates as well.

http://www.quikbook.com

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best location to stay

Hi beachlova !!!

Let your interests and budget decide. Every place is good and it is easy to get around. Sometimes it helps to map out your choices to see where you can be close to. Have Fun !!!

www.mustseenewyork.com/hotel-guide.html