We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hod dog in NYC ?

Divonne-les-Bains...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Best hod dog in NYC ?

Hello,

I read a lot to find the best hot dog place in NYC but there is so many different ones (which is great).

But, someone could maybe recommend me a good address there ?

Thank you

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,257 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
17 replies to this topic
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,198 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

This is going to be heretical, I know, but as a hot dog lover the best hot dogs in NYC are to be found at any 7-Eleven convenience store. Their Bahama Mama dog is excellent, at least 1/4 pound, fat and juicy. The style is like a German Frankfurter. The 7-Eleven branded Quarter Pounder is a close second and differs from Bahama Mama in that it's more like a garlic sausage.

Street hot dogs, which are all over, are generally terrible. What's more, you can't count on their truth in advertising. I had a dog once at a vendor whose sign promised a Sabrett's (a pretty good dog but too salty for my taste) but what I got was something else, garbage.

Nathan's makes a very good dog, also of the garlic sausage variety, but quite honestly you're more likely to find a convenient Nathan's at a suburban mall than on the streets of NYC

The two competing Papaya chains, Greys Papaya and Papaya King, have very, very good tasting dogs and are definitely in the garlic sausage camp. My only criticism is that they're too skinny. I advise getting a double dog if you go that route, in which case I approve of them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,103 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

Interesting. Do you like all 7/11 dogs or just the ones in Manhattan? It would never occur to me to eat one.😳 My faves are Gray,s Papaya and Katz's. I've still never tried Criffs which are highly rated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

IMO there is only one way and one place to eat a hot dog in NYC, and that's at Nathan's in Coney Island. Order from the original store on Surf Ave and walk up to the boardwalk to eat it, or if you prefer (and if it's open) order at the Nathan's store *on* the boardwalk.

Nathan's is an experience - any other hot dog is just a meal.

-JimG

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

Crifdog do an incredible selection.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,153 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

Best Hot Dog in NYC is inside an original prohibition speakeasy in East Village. Feltman’s of Coney Island. A resurrection of the original Coney Island Red Hots (hot dog) where Nathan originally worked as a bun slicer before opening his place on the same block on Surf ave. Now there’s also a Feltmans on Surf in the original location in Coney Island right by the Cyclone

Last time we had this argument I tried Nathan’s, Criff, Grays Papaya, and Feltmans on the same day. Feltmans was the best, Grays was actually the worst. Most of the Papaya places are now closed btw, except for the upper east and west locations.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

"right by the Cyclone"

So do you recommend eating a Feltman's hot dog before, after, or during your ride on the Cyclone?

-JimG

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,153 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

During. And if you finish it while riding, your name will appear on the new Feltman’s Hall of Fame wall. Their answer to the eating contest wall.

Ps Hospital is nearby on ocean pkwy

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
30,847 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

Another Nathans fan love going to Coney Island for one.

Divonne-les-Bains...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

Omg !

We will stay there 9 days, so I guess we will have time to try all of those places :)

Thank you so much ! :)

New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hod dog in NYC ?

Katz's Deli on East Houston (pronounced HOW-ston) Street makes a great hot dog. Eat it with mustard. My favorite in New York.

I'm not a fan of Nathan's, but I do think the experience of ordering a hot dog from Nathan's on the Coney Island boardwalk is one that no meat-consuming human should forgo if he/she has the opportunity.

Whatever you do, do NOT purchase and eat hot dogs from a street vendor unless you want an experience in how bad hot dogs can be. The quality of street vendor hot dogs and pretzels has gone downhill since I was a kid. They are inedible. It's not even like eating food. I never throw away food and I have thrown away street hot dogs bought in desperation.

Reply to: Best hod dog in NYC ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted