We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit with 4 teenage girls

Olney, MD
1 post
Save Topic
First time visit with 4 teenage girls

Hi, I am planning a surprise trip for my daughters. Unfortunately we only have about 2 1/2 days there beginning the day after Christmas. They love to shop! We will be arriving on Amtrak at the Penn Station and staying at the Grand Hyatt since I had earned a few free nights. A few questions.... What's the best way to get from the train station to the hotel? How far is it? Should we concentrate on shopping and where would the best after Christmas deals be? Thanks.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit with 4 teenage girls

After a long trip, if you have a lot of luggage and stuff, you could take 2 cabs from there. It's not that far away so it won't be too expensive, but it's not a good walking distance with all that stuff at that time of year.

I love The Grand Hyatt, immaculately clean and comfortable rooms, and in a good location.

I am not a shopping expert, but on a previous trip the teens in our party found a good clothing store right near Grand Central terminal. They bought ponchos (all the rage).

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit with 4 teenage girls

There's a Daffy's nearby, which has pretty good bargains. It's on Madison Avenue at 43rd or 44th St., on the SE corner. You're also close to my favorite department store, Lord & Taylor, on 5th Ave. at 39th St. I find it the easiest and most pleasant place to shop, worlds better than Macy's. L&T always does the nicest Christmas windows, too.

Don't forget holiday shopping in the main waiting room at Grand Central. They've got lots of crafts stalls from Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve. You'll also find nice holiday bazaars in Bryant Park on 42nd St. at 6th Avenue (behind the main Public Library), and in Union Square Park, which is only one subway stop away from Grand Central on the Downtown #4 or #5 trains.

I've a feeling your girls would love the big H&M store on 5th Ave. at 51st Street.