We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a Backpack in NYC

Frackville, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Using a Backpack in NYC

I'm planning to take a backpack during my day trip with kids to NYC. No museums on the list for this trip, but am planning to go into some stores, public library, and possibly Central Park Zoo if the weather is decent enough. Should I be aware of any issues foreseen with carrying a backpack? I'm not keeping money or valuables in it, just possible snacks, bottled water, and items we may purchase throughout the day. I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,245 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
12 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

I only ever use a backpack - I like the convenience, especially in winter of being able to tuck my hands into my coat pockets and also for being hands free to carry things, etc

I never keep it on my back in crowded places to I don't bump into people with it, same on the subways/buses - if crowded, I drop it down off my back so not to smack others with it.

Other than that - it's fine.

If too large, you may be asked to check it in certain places. The one I use is on the small side but it depends on the policies of bags in each place you visit.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,880 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

Many people here use daypacks as a purse/briefcase substitutes.

Some places, especially museums, may require you check large-ish bags (of any type) and/or not wear backpacks on your back.

Some popular tourist places will have airline style security screenings.

Remove it from your back on public transport and in other crowded places.

Edited: 9:34 am, December 16, 2017
Frackville, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

I'm looking at getting a North Face Vault backpack, which seems to be on the smaller side. I'll definitely be mindful of others!

Thank you for the input!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

Will you be carrying so many things that you will really need a backpack? We having drinking fountains and there is no need to carry water. Likewise, the city abounds with food places and there is no need to carry that. The Met Museum requires that people wear backpacks on their front so they do not accidentally back into artwork. I believe the Frick Collection does not allow them (or cameras) at all. People tend to walk more on trips and the less you have to carry, the better. I weary of being "bag bashed" in the subway with backpacks and large should bags.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

I wear a backpack every day - and I think it's been a long time since Fox has traveled with kids.

It's absolutely useful to have water and snacks that your kids actually like, on demand, as opposed to constantly having to pay money for bottled water (drinking fountains are NOT everywhere) and hunt down snacks while the kids are whining. It's always good to carry wipes, too.

I drop my backpack into my hand when I'm on the subway during rush hour, but during off hours, there are lots of people on the subway with backpacks who don't mess with them.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

Born and raised in new york, I carry a back pack every day. My mom also born and raised carries a back pack. I always carry water with me.

Just be respectful, and when you're on the subway (or bus), please drop it between your legs so you don't smack people. There are some places that might require you to check your bag, but for the most part, you should be fine.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,062 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

Everyone in my family uses a backpack when we travel and often here in NYC- easier than carrying a purse and a tote bag for water,hat,gloves,etc. Some libararies will inspect your bag as you leave, some don't. If its a big pack, you will have to check it at museums and theatres.Stores and zoos are no problem. The polcie sometimes check through bags in subway stations. I am weary of people blocking the door on the subway,sticking their feet far out in front of them,deciding to exit the train at the last minute in a crowded train but oh well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,077 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

Assume you mean a daypack - like the size of a tote bag - not a large backpack like you would use if camping. If you mean the former it should be fine - the latter would be a PIA to haul around, an issue on public transit (since other people tend to be squashed and bumped by them) and not allowed in some places (you would have to check every lace you plan on going).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,254 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

"Assume you mean a daypack - like the size of a tote bag - not a large backpack like you would use if camping."

I think the OP was pretty clear. She's not going camping. I wouldn't expect to see her with a pack on her back with a bedroll, canteen and a frying pan hanging off the sides.

"just possible snacks, bottled water, and items we may purchase throughout the day. "

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using a Backpack in NYC

of the places you listed, I don't believe any will make you check your bag. it will be searched (cursorily, IMO) at the NYPL - if this is the main branch, both entering and exiting. that would be true regardless of the size of your bag.

Reply to: Using a Backpack in NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted