We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

Wondering if anybody can tell me what to expect from Box A Row 1 Seats 6 and 7 at the Walter Kerr Theater. I have the option of those seats or Mezzanine Right Row H Seats 10 and 12.

I have been able to find the exact seat location and views from the Mezz seats but can't find much on the Box seats except that there are 4 rows of 2 seats. The Row 1 makes me think that they would be that first row, however, the seats 6 and 7 have me second guessing that.

Has anybody sat in the Box area at Walter Kerr that can give some thoughts? Would Box or MezzR be better seats? The Box seats are much more expensive so I feel that those would be the better seats but that isn't necessarily always the case.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
new york
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

Normally, I would go with the mezzanine. Box seats usually have some less than stellar sight lines. I don't really get the numbering for the box seats either, since it looks like there are 4 rows of 2 seats in each box. However, if this is for Springsteen then sight lines probably don't matter so for that show I may be tempted by the boxes. You can refer to the below site for seats to avoid:

https:/…broadway-theaters.asp

Or a view from my seat

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Walter+Kerr+Theatre/

Edited: 6:15 pm, December 15, 2017
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

As a 50 year stint as an usher, my answer is box seats are to be seen from, not to see from.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,194 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

<<box seats are to be seen from, not to see from>>

Haha, that's good, really good. I agree. I'd take box over rear mezz, esp for a drama where there presumably won't be big staging

I remember seeing Helen Mirren from a box when she was playing The Queen, we got TKTS seats and that was our only choice. We did enjoy it quite a lot and we were closer than you might think to the actors, but during intermission I walked over to get a view of the stage and was shocked to see that they actually did have a backdrop. We had no idea, couldn't see it at all from so far over to the sides

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

My favorite usher story about this is the time I was ushering for a general admission (no reserved seats) show. A gentleman came up to me & complained "I'm sitting in the front box & I can't see a thing!!!!" I tried to keep a straight face as I replied "Sir, this is a general admission show. You may sit in any empty seat."

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

Found a seating chart of the Walter Kerr Theater (for a prior production) that shows the numbering of the box seats.

www.lct.org/shows/seating-chart/…

Looks like seats 6 & 7 in box A aren't actually next to each other, which is kind of what I expected.

The box seats are way to the side but much closer to the stage. IMO seat 7 would be pretty good since it's on the theater side, especially for something like Springsteen. Seat 6 not as good, as the other people in the box would be likely to obstruct part of the view. Just my opinion, as I have sat in other boxes but not at that theater.

Edited: 12:56 am, December 16, 2017
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,758 posts
687 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats

For what it's worth, we love the Box Seats at the Richard Rodgers for Hamilton. You do lose part of the stage but you are SO close to the action it's really thrilling

Reply to: Walter Kerr Theater Box Seats Vs Mezzanine Seats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted