We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara falls

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara falls

Hello, if i want to go on January 1 to Niagara falls from Manhattan. How can i go and how much does it cost? Can i make it in one day?

Thank you

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
18 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara falls

You can do this as an all day bus trip. But it really is ALL day long and you'd get very little time, relatively at the Falls, where it will be VERY cold and VERY windy.

Not a good day trip any time of year.

Not a very good trip at all in winter.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,781 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara falls

You could fly to Buffalo, but that would also be a long day.

I agree that January isn't a good time to visit Niagara Falls.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,204 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara falls

... plus weather (including lake effect snow) can disrupt flights and other travel plans, plus it's a holiday which could mean additional closures for some things. Note that some of the NF attractions are closed all winter.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara falls

The Falls are a 8 hour drive from New York City. You would have no time to visit them if you were doing this in one day, driving. You could fly, but attractions like "Maid of the Mist" will not be running.

Also, the best view of the Falls is from the Canadian side, so you might want to fly to Toronto, and then drive to them from there.

As we have told many people before you, the dead of winter isn't the time to visit the Falls. There's a good chance you could get stuck in a snowstorm up there at that time of year. I'm not talking about inches, but rather feet of snow.

If you really must see the Falls on this trip, reschedule for a warmer time of year when all of the attractions will be open, and the roads clear and safe.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara falls

I don't think you should make the trip for the reasons stated but I also don't think you need to go to Canada for the view of the falls referenced in the previous post. When the weather allows, you can see the Canadian side view by doing the Maid of the Mist boat ride.

Edited: 5:39 pm, December 15, 2017
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara falls

Niagara Falls is on the east end of Lake Erie, The wind blows in across the lake, picks up moisture & dumps it as soon as it hits land. Right now Syracuse has the most snow accumulation but Buffalo is right behind, If you want to see how bad the visibility can be in a snowstorm, Google Bills vs Colts 12/10/17..

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara falls

That Bills/Colts game was nuts! I loved seeing them make snow angels haha

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara falls

Niagara Falls is quite far from NYC. Going in January is not the greatest idea either.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,066 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagara falls

NF is a warm weather destination. Many sights are open only from some time in April until end of Oct. So there will be little to see and it will very likely be in cold and snow. The only way to do it in one day - since it's at least 8 hours by road (assuming roads are clear) or train is 8 or 9 hours each way - is to fly up and back to Buffalo. There is a 6 am flight up and you could get an early evening flight back - if the airport is open.

Can't imagine it is worth the cost and effort.

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Niagara falls

Thank you all

Reply to: Niagara falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted