We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving into the city Black Friday questions

NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving,

We will be driving into the city tomorrow from New Jersey.

We have to go and have to drive because my sister is being released from MSK and taking public transportation is not an option.

We usually come in through the Lincoln Tunnel, take 10th uptown and cross over at 65th.

The hospital is at York between 67th and 68th.

I have no idea how the traffic will be on Black Friday. I figure many people are not working tomorrow but that many more people will be in the city shopping.

She thinks she'll be released maybe around 1:00 pm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

KathyH

22 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

You might consider coming in thru the Holland tunnel, going crosstown downtown somewhere and taking the FDR drive uptown. But you could also just do what you normally do and allow extra time. Try to avoid going near shopping malls on your drive in NJ. 🙄 Wishing your sister all the best. Happy Thanksgiving!

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Just check the traffic before leaving and also on the AM while driving. 880AM has traffic on the 8's and 1010AM has traffic on the 1's.

Traffic is tough to predict, many people do work tomorrow, but many are also off. I would leave yourself plenty of time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

I'm reminded by springerandy's advice...if you have a smart phone, download waze. It's a traffic app that gives real time advice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Waze was bought by Google so the info it collects is incorporated into Google maps. It's a good app with a nice interface, but not any better than Google maps which is likely already on your phone. Either way, use a navigation app to give you real time traffic reports. But beware that they notoriously underestimate traffic delays in Manhattan.

Best of luck to you and your sister!

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Great mention by nywhiz, if an app helps, use it. But I know for me, I don't want to look at a phone while driving, that's why I use the AM radio for traffic when I'm out and about and need info.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,588 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

As someone who uses Waze, you don't need to look at it, you need to listen to it. I also have found that even though they are now both owned by google they don't always share. Waze also utilizes user feeedback and is more likely, IMO, to change your route once you are on the road.

I also find traffic reports make not be talking about the area I'm in. If I'm driving in Queens, I don't care about Manhattan, Long Island, or New Jersey.

Edited: 2:02 pm, November 23, 2017
NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Thank you everyone for your help. I guess we'll decide what route to take tomorrow morning after listening to some reports. I figure no matter what we are going to hit traffic so I'll just plan ahead and be ready for it.

If I come in the Lincoln Tunnel I know my way to the hospital. If coming in the Holland, I'd have to figure out the best way to get crosstown to the FDR Drive. Looking at the map going across on Houston might be the way to go. I'm not that familiar with lower Manhattan so not sure what the traffic is light vs uptown.

Thank you again for your help.

KathyH

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Where in NJ are you coming from? The GWB is also an option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,167 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

Be aware that release time is often a moving target. Call in the am to see what time they are talking about. And be ready to park the car for a couple of hours in case it's delayed.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving into the city Black Friday questions

If you take the Holland Tunnel in, you can make a right onto West St, follow it downtown to the Battery Park underpass and connect directly to the FDR drive.

It would be longer in distance than taking the Lincoln in, and definitely not as direct, but may save you some aggravation in crosstown traffic.

Definitely check your GPS for the fastest route just before leaving, and if you are not traveling alone, check again while driving.

Best wishes to you, your sister and family.

Reply to: Driving into the city Black Friday questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted