We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear in new york in may!!!

England !!!
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what to wear in new york in may!!!

Will be in NY in May...trying not to look too ridiculous...would shorts and t-shirts be ok in most restaurants?? Suppose the weather will be quite good then so imagine evenings will be quite warm...same question applies for the lady traveller too...

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

Evenings are not going to be quite warm. Unless we get blessed with unseasonably warm weather, it can dip down to 50 at night as late as early June. I'd check the forecast closer to your departure and then plan your packing accordingly. Pack pants regardless, shorts arent really de rigeur at nicer restaurants.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

Shorts and t shirts are not ok in most nice places in NYC, but especially not a decent restaurant. Go to wunderground.com to their trip planner to see historic weather for the dates you'll be here.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

Hello : As far as weather conditions our news channels for new york city are as folllows-channel 2-4-5-9-11, you can find them online and get all the New York scoop, as far as weather and news.I would bring casual clothing,Men in nice restaurants will not allow tank tops, and shorts.you can go with dark colored jeans, or docker style pants for men.ladies I would suggest nice jeans and short sleeved shirt ok , no tank top.If you are just walking around for pizza and shopping etc shorts are ok.May starts to get nice but pack pants and light jacket for the evening.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

If I were going to a restaurant at night (not a fast-food joint) I would tend to wear slacks, shirt and my wife would either wear a skirt/slacks and dressy top.

Whatever the weather will be, shorts and T's may be appropriate for day touring - doesn't hurt to look decent, eh?

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

In New York City a pair of shorts being worn at night in May screams "out of town tourist!!!" at the top of its lungs. Even in mid-July, shorts on a man in a decent restaurant (that is, some place better than McDonald's) would seem out of place; in May they would look really, really odd. You could wear them on the street during the day, I suppose -- but you would see few New Yorkers wearing shorts then either; it would be a fair guarantee that any other men you saw in shorts were fellow tourists.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

As a "lady traveller", I personally don't care to wear shorts and t-shirts unless I am exercising or hiking; they look too casual/touristy to me. When I was in NYC in the warmer weather, I packed lots of little skirts and capri-types of pants. I stayed cool, and the skirts could be dressed up if need be. I brought a light sweater for cool evenings or the chilly theatres.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
303 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

I whole heartedly agree that shorts are absolutely not the thing to wear to any kind of decent eating place, however I've noticed that GWB often uses the word "tourist" in an almost derogatory way, I prefer traveller, but either way .where would any city be without them?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

In my study of big city life and its populous, I have come up with the saying:

"there are tourists and there are travelers".

And whatever category you feel most comfortable with, it's still a free free country, so far.

Poppa

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

budluva, take everything said above with a pinch of salt. Some responses can come across as rude when they're not meant to be (I hope!)

We were in NY during July and it was incredibly warm, even at night, a lot more than we in Europe are used to even in the Med. I do think you'll look out of place if you go to a half decent restaurant wearing shorts, I would just advise you to take note of the dress-code

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to wear in new york in may!!!

We too are going in May and I must admit I hadn't realised that the nights would be cold.

When we are travelling in the day time I usually wear 3/4 trousers or casual skirt and a top but for eating out/theatre etc., on an evening I was planning on a dress or skirt teamed with a wrap or cardigan - will I be too cold?